1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 year old New Hampshire Red Hens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gachickenchick, Mar 5, 2015.

1. gachickenchick

gachickenchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    So sadly I lost my last 2 hens that had just started laying to a predator coop attack! We got 9 eggs total! It took 36 weeks to get eggs.....[​IMG]

I have ran across some New Hampshire Hens that are laying. I just called the lady and she said that they are about 2 years old. She wants $12.00 each. Does anyone have any experience with this breed? Would this be a good move or not given the age? I know that each chicken is different, but I just want some advice....

Thanks in advance for your help! [​IMG]

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    See,here is the main thing I would think about,people who like.Making good money off of bad birds.
    Two years old is a good age,but is it true age?Are they healthy,think about that sorta stuff.

But,a little Heads Up on New Hampshire's.

It is first off said,New Hampshire,that is the correct way to say it.Great lap pets,and would be great eggs layers.Very reasonable egg production.....

Welcome to BYC!

Glad you joined us,and hope you enjoy it here!

3. gachickenchick

Nov 10, 2014
    Thank you Love! The more I think about it....the more I wonder. Why would she sell good layers? Am I wrong in thinking $12.00 is a bit much? What if I get these hens and they don't lay much or like you said are not healthy.....thanks again for responding!

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Well,if they are goid layers,12 bucks is reasonable,but she could just be trying to make money......

5. gachickenchick

Nov 10, 2014
    Thanks Love! I am thinking I may need to pass on this one....thank you so much for your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by