2 year Rooster/ Very crooked neck/Encephalitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiki244, Jun 22, 2010.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I was over at my friend's today and he has a 2 yr old bantam Wyandotte rooster thats neck is totally messed up. His head appears to be stuck to his neck. The curvature is over the top, so the bird is looking down at his breast, and it is like his head is velcroed to the neck there.. You can not get him out of this position and he appears to be have some trouble moving. He does not appear to have a temperature.

The first thing I thought of was some kind of encephalopathy. Could it be nutritional? Any other ideas? There was a plague of Mereks there, but never any symptoms like these. He has vaccinated all birds now.

Could it ba a deficiency in a vitamin? Or by feeding meat rations could it be a BSE?

I wont be on the computer long, but I will check back tomorrow to see if anyone has advice for me. Sure would like to figure out what that rooster has. It is soooo strange looking.

thanks

I know I will be taking shower and changing ALL clothes when I get home as to not infect my flock if it is transmissable.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like another case of Mareks - the neurological type that puts lesions on the brain.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    NO REALLY!!!!!????? Oh my goodness! I have never heard of that.! I wonder if that is one of the older ones that he didnt vaccinate?

4. MotherJean

The condition is called "toticollis" and is one of many symptoms found in Mareks and Newcastle Disease. When you say that his flock was infected with Mareks in the past, it's difficult not jump to the conclusion that it is Mareks at work in this bird, too.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I looked in the Merck veterinary book and they didnt even have Mareks listed, or I couldnt find it.. [​IMG] I wish I could find something so I could run it off and copy to read at home. Thanks so much for your help. How long do you think he will have trouble if he keeps vaccinating the chicks? Will it just be in the older birds?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  6. MotherJean

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Did it just develop a twisted neck or has it always been twisted?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by