2 Years Later, Finally Painting PICs Bedroom

Pics

Smuvers Farm

Melvin Up the Taterhole
Feb 16, 2017
TN/Western KY Border
My PIC (Partner In Chickens) is my (almost) 9 year old son. When we moved into our FIRST home on 7 June, 2016, we told him that his bedroom would be the FIRST room to get painted. The entire home has white walls, but this really old and brittle wall paper border that looks like it belongs to an old woman whose brain got stuck in the 90s...... just UGH.

So, it's almost 2 years later... and this is the week I'm doing his room. Not only are we painting it, but we got him this kick arse full sized loft bed with a desk built in underneath, got him a new black dresser (to match the bed) and a new memory foam mattress. Dang is he spoiled.

I am going to post pics and stuff to keep track of what is getting done... PLUS, this gives me a boost and incentive to get it done. I have exactly until Friday afternoon to get everything done. since the PIC is out of town with my SIL and nephew visiting other family members.

This is an early birthday gift for the PIC, as he turns 9 in June.

Here's the colors and paint we're using for walls and trim. Plus the stuff I'm using to remove the wallpaper border
20180325_104100.jpg
20180325_104108.jpg
20180325_104128.jpg
20180325_104255.jpg

Close up of the wall paper

View attachment 1311924

Not really appropriate for a pre teen boys room huh?! lol he's kept his complaining to a minimum considering
I've seen that before. I can't place it though... but I know it. I'm sorry to your child. If the stuff you got doesn't work. those little wallpaper perforator things do work.
like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VEG0XK
Someone also once told me to use fabric softener, but I ended up using regular wallpaper remover gel stuff (I can't stand the smell of fabric softener).
Good luck.. my mom has a thing for wallpaper that has made me hate the stuff for decades now.. It is not fun to remove, even if it's just a border. Can't wait to see how great it looks!!

OK... the spray works well... but not directly ON the wall paper. It says to soak the wall paper, wait 15 minutes and then scrape off. When I did that, this happened:

20180326_141222.jpg

It's like it's peeling off the drywall paper.... cause the drywall was never primed or painted or anything..... in ANY of the rooms.... but if I can get the colored wall paper layer off, I can BARELY spray the pink backing and scrape immediately and it comes off.

The betch part is just getting the colored paper off... :barnie:barnie:barnie

I've seen that before. I can't place it though... but I know it. I'm sorry to your child. If the stuff you got doesn't work. those little wallpaper perforator things do work.
like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VEG0XK
Someone also once told me to use fabric softener, but I ended up using regular wallpaper remover gel stuff (I can't stand the smell of fabric softener).
Good luck.. my mom has a thing for wallpaper that has made me hate the stuff for decades now.. It is not fun to remove, even if it's just a border. Can't wait to see how great it looks!!

Because the border was placed directly onto the drywall, without any primer or base paint, we were told not to use a scorer, simply for what is currently happening now... how the drywall paper is peeling in places.

Back
Top Bottom