2 yo easter egger won't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bakbrakr1, Dec 17, 2014.

1. bakbrakr1

bakbrakr1 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    We had to move our chx to landlady's place due to nasty neighbor.
    Yesterday she said "road runner" was sick, pls come get. She was near death (3rd eyelid mostly stayed closed, comb pale) landlady force fed her food and drink til I arrived. Comb was red then, but still very sick.
    Took her home and she no longer needed to be force fed. Made smoothie of kale, grass and water and a smoothie of meal worms, bone marrow from soup bones and she is eating and drinking like a rock star. But she still won't walk. She will turn around now and then, but is more content to sit on a lap and be petted. She normally is skittish. She is pooping fine, no blood in it but does keep her beak open like she's hot. I can't feel an egg anywhere. She did get rather thin so I would guess it shouldn't be hard to feel.
    Help!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It could be many things but I would start by ruling out the most common possibilities. Any time you move a chicken the chance of coccidiosis is high, they can easily come in contact with a new strain they are not resistant to. Not all coccidiosis cases will show blood in the stool. I would treat for it in case she's trying to fight it off. And has she ever been dewormed? If not that is something else I would take care of. Also check carefully for mites.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. bakbrakr1

bakbrakr1 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Their cage did get dirty bc we weren't able to get up there for a couple weeks, but if it were cocci, wouldn't they all be ill? She wasn't moved until she was found ill.
    We have always added diatomaceous earth to their feed, tho the last 2 bags of feed I bought, I forgot to get more DE.
    They eat organic food, but my landlady, God bless her sweet soul, is Vietnamese and feeds them a LOT of treats, including pasta and pesticide laden produce, but on the other hand, people eat a lot of that and do fine.
    None of the other girls are sick (6 more) but most are a bit on the thin side. Not sure if I'm not adding enough DE or if they are thin bc of all the treats they get that have little nutritional value.
    Is there a way to tell if it is cocci without a vet visit? I just spent $424 at vets last week and now we are eating soup this week!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You could ask your vet if they could just run a fecal sample test for you. They could check for worms as well as high levels of coccidia. Although it would be cheaper and easier to just run a course of Corid. That is what I'd do.

DE will not cure nor prevent anything, more then a few of us here on BYC have given DE a run for it's money only to find we still have to treat for parasites. So if they are thin and have never been dewormed with real wormer I'd get that done as well. Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats are both very good choices.

5. bakbrakr1

bakbrakr1 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    She is still eating, drinking, pooping well, but one thing i forgot to mention in earlier post is her feet seem to be clubbing (toes turning under) this is almost always associated with neurological issues. There is no $ for a vet. Would cocci cause neuro issues? I did have 2 girls that had cocci a couple years back and they didn't want to eat or drink much.

6. bakbrakr1

bakbrakr1 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice. I THINK what may have happened was an injured leg that was not noticed bc she was in coop during feeding times.
    I bought soup bones and mixed it with meal worms and coconut water (for electrolytes) and she ate it like chicken crack! Couldn't get enough. After 3 or 4 days, she tried getting around but had a bit of a limp. She now thinks she is one of the dogs, has no limp, is strong and SPOILED! We tried to put her with the rest of the girls a couple days ago and they kept attacking her since she's now considered an outsider. Any suggestions on how to reintegrate her without it taking many trips up there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by