2 yo Wyandotte hen appears to be crop bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Feb 29, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I noticed lately that my Wyandotte, Ani, has a really big crop. I didn't think anything of it at first, but then the last time I held her, she felt thin (as compared to usual, but not dangerously so. Believe me, Ani had plenty in reserve). I believe she is crop bound. I checked her breath and it doesn't smell sour. She is behaving totally normally, eating and drinking, but her crop is really big and squishy, and it isn't shrinking overnight like it should.

I had a hen with a full-blown sour crop about a year ago. I inverted her and encouraged her to regurgitate all the liquid in her crop, and then I kept her on water and olive-oil-coated scrambled eggs. I tried to get Ani to regurgitate this morning and even though her crop feels like it's mostly water, nothing came out. She got a nice, long crop massage, but it didn't feel like much was happening.

I have her separated without food or water right now. Should I give her water with olive oil mixed in it and see if that helps her? Any other advice is welcome!

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I had a couple pullets with sour crop at one point and I treated them with a little apple cider vinegar (1 tbs/qt.) and I mixed olive oil with Greek yogurt. I used the Chobani plain yogurt because it has five different good bacterium as opposed to two in most other yogurts. I mixed 1 tbs/1cup olive oil to yogurt.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thank you for your help! I had already given her olive oil on water and I gave her some yogurt and oil after reading your post. She appeared to eat a lot of it anyway, and her crop has gone down some from earlier.

I put her back in the coop with the rest of the flock and the first thing she did was drop an egg from the roost. :lol: Unfortunately, shortly affter that, she hopped down and I noticed she is looking like she's getting a little worse. She is leaning away from the side her crop is on and her wing is sitting kind of funny on that side as well. I'm doing what I can, but if anyone else has some experience with this, any help is appreciated!

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Monistat

Seriously!

There is a discussion a few post down all about it.

Some give the 3 day suppository over about a week (cut in 3 parts, 2 a day). I used the cream on mine just to see if that worked as well. I used the CVS brand 7 day. I gave 2 ccs then mixed with water in a syringe once a day. AND IT TOTALLY WORKS!!!!!!!

5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    She didnt have sour smelling breath btw. Just a big squishy balloon that was causing her to fall over. Making her vomit and olive oil and yogurt were not helping.

6. Limey

Limey New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Texas
    My cochin pullet had the same problem about a month ago. Since she didn't want to eat much I mixed a vitamin and electrolyte powder supplement into warm water with olive oil and fed her hard boiled eggs and it only took her a few days to get better.

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Good news--Ani's passing food! :D Thanks for the help, y'all.

For reference, if anyone's looking here for help, Ani got an olive oil and yogurt meal every day, had a little olive oil in her water dish, and got a crop massage every day.

JakRat - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind if I get another bad case. :)
    Limey - It didn't occur to me to supplement her with vitamins, but that's a good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by