2 yolk egg~getting 1 of these a day..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickon baby, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chickon baby

chickon baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    st charles
    Does anyone know if this is normal? Is there something wrong? DH cracked a egg into the frying pan and it had 2 yolks.The next day,same thing.I cracked a egg n bingo~2 yolks.Seems as though 1 of our RIR's is laying 2 yolk eggs and 1 everyday now for over a week.Our 4 RIR's are almost 6months.They started laying at 3 months and for the 1st month all the eggs were fairly small in size.At ard 4months all the eggs were normal size,pretty brown w/nice hard shells.They are all very sweet n sooo spoiled,guess a added bonus~lol.
    Outta curiosity,if we had a roo n these 2 yolked eggs were fertilized~would that make twins???

2. Chic-Zebo Girl

Chic-Zebo Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Delton, MI
    I've heard that young hens sometimes do this the first couple months of laying.

3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    There called "double yolkers" and they are typically laid by newer layers during the first few months that they lay. And yes, most people consider them a bonus! [​IMG]

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

My RIR hens did that for awhile during their first six months of laying.....enjoy them because we have not gotten any since!

We do have new ducks however and they gave us some double-yolkers at first, so ducks do this too.

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    When our BSs started to lay we got 3 double yolks in one week from 3 different hens and havnt had 1 since. hope you contunue to get more!

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    No you would not get twins. 99% of the time there is o room in the egg so they never go full term. Sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by