2 young hens just stopped laying???

chickengirlRI

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
RI
I have two 8 month old australorps that abruptly stopped laying about 3 weeks ago. They seem healthy, active and eating well and no feather loss. They only started laying in August and were doing really well then just stopped. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Many hens lay like that stopping and starting with no apparent reason. Some of mine take breaks throughout the season that last 3-6 weeks before resuming again. Since its two birds I would check for hidden nests as well.

It is very normal...My Danish Browns started to lay three weeks ago..The first one laid about 5 eggs the other one only one egg and nothing for a week now..We got hit with snow and colder temps...I am not concerned at all...They will work out the kinks and get laying again when they are ready...

Cheers!

I have two 8 month old australorps that abruptly stopped laying about 3 weeks ago. They seem healthy, active and eating well and no feather loss. They only started laying in August and were doing really well then just stopped. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Do you free range...might they be laying out in their range area??

Haven't free ranged in awhile because hawks and large owls have been drawn to them and i was afraid of lossing them. I have one partridge rock also who has been laying all along. Just the two Australorps stopped. Just seemed strange that both stopped at the same time

I have also checked everywhere in the coop for hidden eggs because that was my first thought and nothing.
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom