2 yr old hen who has trouble walking/stumbling and has dark green diarrhea

hollyfeil

Hatching
Feb 25, 2016
I have a 2 yr old barred rock hen who has been stumbling around for a few days and has dark green diarrhea. It seems she is drinking and I've seen her eat. I've done an internal exam and it didn't feel like any egg inside, although I've never done this before so I'm not positive what it would feel like.. I removed her from my flock and have her in a box in my garage. She keeps trying to peck/clean her butt- I think because it's pasty from the diarrhea. I did soak her in some warm water to clean her butt. I have been giving her olive leaf supplement mixed with water in a syringe- I have heard it is like a natural antibiotic.. I'm hoping this might help. Most people have said it seems like she is egg bound and there is nothing I can do....I"m not sure this is the problem. Any suggestions?

I would bring her in to observe her for a day or two. You can watch exactly how much she is eating and drinking. I think she could be weak or dehydrated, and dark green droppings can e a sign of not eating. Offer some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in her water, some egg, probiotics such as plain yogurt mixed into feed with some water. Has she ever been wormed?

Thank you for your suggestions. I have had her in my garage for 2 days now. She has never been wormed before but I believe what I am giving her can treat worms as well but not positive. I did give her a scrambled egg the other day and she ate it right up. I will try some yogurt as well.

Back
Top Bottom