2 yr old hen's left thigh swelled up huge!

scootz

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Howell, MI
I have a 2 year old barred rock who was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed she was withdrawn and not eating. I took her inside to check her out and for a week I couldn't figure out what was bothering her. She acted sort of dizzy and woozy, but otherwise ate and drank fine when I held her.

Earlier in the week I finally discovered what is bothering her: her left thigh is swollen to about double the size that it should be which causes her to favor her right leg, which explains why she eats when I hold her but has trouble bending down to eat from her bowl.

Here are some pics:

The swelling wraps around the back of her thigh and into her inner thigh. She can put weight on it, but it definitely bothers her. I looked for wounds and couldn't find any. The puffy area is slightly pink compared to the rest of her skin.

Should I try draining it? If so, how? Should I administer antibiotics? I have been using Nutri Drench for the past 2 weeks to supplement her steady diet of scrambled eggs, red beans, rice, crushed organic, no-soy pellets, and olive oil - with a few drops of Nutri-Drench.

I gave her 40 mg of chewable aspirin (half of a low-dose aspirin) twice a day for 2 days so far for pain management. It seems to help her overcome discomfort, but hasn't reduced the swelling. What do you suggest?

Thank you so much!

Scott

Last edited:
I have a 2 year old barred rock who was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed she was withdrawn and not eating. I took her inside to check her out and for a week I couldn't figure out what was bothering her. She acted sort of dizzy and woozy, but otherwise ate and drank fine when I held her.

Earlier in the week I finally discovered what is bothering her: her left thigh is swollen to about double the size that it should be which causes her to favor her right leg, which explains why she eats when I hold her but has trouble bending down to eat from her bowl.

Here are some pics:

The swelling wraps around the back of her thigh and into her inner thigh. She can put weight on it, but it definitely bothers her. I looked for wounds and couldn't find any. The puffy area is slightly pink compared to the rest of her skin.

Should I try draining it? If so, how? Should I administer antibiotics? I have been using Nutri Drench for the past 2 weeks to supplement her steady diet of scrambled eggs, red beans, rice, crushed organic, no-soy pellets, and olive oil - with a few drops of Nutri-Drench.

I gave her 40 mg of chewable aspirin (half of a low-dose aspirin) twice a day for 2 days so far for pain management. It seems to help her overcome discomfort, but hasn't reduced the swelling. What do you suggest?

Thank you so much!

Scott
I have not seen this before. Hopefully someone else will have some input as well.

Does the swelling feel hard, soft, fluid filled, air filled, etc.?
Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30days?
You mention that she dizzy and woozy - does she still act this way?
Any difficulty breathing?

If it is fluid or air filled you could dry draining it. Size 18guage needle is commonly used for draining fluid from the abdomen. Antibiotic treatment may be necessary, but you really need to know the cause to choose the right one. Since you see no angry red and feel no heat, then I would lean toward it not being infected. It could be that she may have injured it (slipped a tendon).

Vet care would be best if you have one available.

Just my thoughts, keep us posted.

Does the swelling feel hard, soft, fluid filled, air filled, etc.?

Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30days?

You mention that she dizzy and woozy - does she still act this way?

Any difficulty breathing?
The area feels like normal leg muscle tissue. Not soft like a blister, but springy like the rest of her surrounding musculature.

No new birds in a year.

When she's fed she's alert, but not "normal" alert, if that makes sense. She doesn't peck around at things outside of her food bowl. When she stretches her right leg out, she has to catch herself from falling over because of her swollen left leg. Strangely, sometimes when I give her water (I never see her drink w/o being forced to) sometimes she goes into a 10-15 convulsion where her head pulls back towards her body and her neck writhes, followed by a few wing flaps like she can feel herself falling over, even though I'm holding her. After the short convulsion she's tired for 30 minutes and then goes back to somewhat normal.

No difficulty breathing at all.

Thank you!

The area feels like normal leg muscle tissue. Not soft like a blister, but springy like the rest of her surrounding musculature.

No new birds in a year.

When she's fed she's alert, but not "normal" alert, if that makes sense. She doesn't peck around at things outside of her food bowl. When she stretches her right leg out, she has to catch herself from falling over because of her swollen left leg. Strangely, sometimes when I give her water (I never see her drink w/o being forced to) sometimes she goes into a 10-15 convulsion where her head pulls back towards her body and her neck writhes, followed by a few wing flaps like she can feel herself falling over, even though I'm holding her. After the short convulsion she's tired for 30 minutes and then goes back to somewhat normal.

No difficulty breathing at all.

Thank you!
That is puzzling.

When I first saw your post, the thing that came to mind was Marek's or something similar. The dizzy, woozy and convulsions/head pulling back makes me think Marek's even more. It can present in several different ways, so it wouldn't be beyond the realm of the disease.

Since it feels like a normal leg/muscle and no obvious fluid, then I don't think trying to drain would accomplish anything.

I'm sorry that I don't have better answers. If you have vet care available they may have some answers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Back
Top Bottom