2 yr. old with chick fever = Oatmeal incident!!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Ema, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    So I got 21 three week old chicks.(red sex). My two year old just adores them, probably as much as he loves the dogs and the guinea pigs, doesn't care much for the cats though. Anyhow, he loves to help me feed the animals, and the chicks specially. I taught him to always ask before going over to the huge 3 foot by 6 foot brooder my husband built for them a week and half ago after I complained they needed more room and I was unsure how I would provide them that since the chicks are in my house. Yes you read that right, they are in my dining room because well, I live in northern ontario and the weather is all over the place right now. one day its hot the next you need your winter coat. Yesterday it was only 3 and today its 27 (celcious). so the best place for them is in the house until the temps normalize in about a month.

Getting back on track here!! My son was busy playing with his fridge magnet talking alphabet letters and I ran outside to get the dog who jumped the fence to go see the post people. In the 2 minutes I was gone he pushed a chair to the fireplace and grabbed the oatmeal bag I accidentally left up there this morning after I sprinkled a small handful in the brooder for the chicks.
    After he grabbed it he opened it and was about to dump it into the brooder when I walked in and when He saw me he quickly started pouring it in. Well he covered a few chicks in oatmeal, who then ran around because they were being pecked by the rest... and dumped about half the bag in. Well I think I learned my lesson about leaving the bag out of the cupboard. but will my chickies be ok?? that is a lot of oatmeal!!! I scoopped a lot of it out and tossed it in the trash but there is still a lot in there.

I love the enthusiasm my little one has towards animals so I can't really say he was bad or anything of the sort, as I don't want him to lose his love for helping me or the animals, after all it was really my fault. In any event I have to say I am really proud that my kids love animals so much. Now the rest of my family..well that is a whole other story for another day!!
  2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The chicks will be fine. Nothing wrong with oatmeal. It is a little low in protein, but a one time thing won't hurt them at all.
  3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    I agree that the chicks will be okay. I know of a number of people that supplement the food that they give to their chickens with oatmeal.
  4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Once when my children were 3 and 4 , I went to the clothsline . When I came back in they were sitting in the middle of the floor facing each other with a large bowl of eggs between them( about 3 doz. ) cracking them on each others heads. They broke about 2 doz. When they looked up at me that egg was just sheeting down their faces I laughed until i thought I was going to die. I didn't know what to clean up first. funny oatmeal story thanks for sharing.

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:ahahahahaha...funny thing is my brothers and I used to do that as pranks when we were kids. We were raised in Spain and we had...well my grandmother had this huge chicken coop with tons of chickens. well She would sell the eggs to neighbours or the farmers market in the town square. Well the chickens we had produced soo many eggs my grandmother never really knew how many eggs she really did have. It started out when my little brother got angry with our youngest cousin and took an egg, hid in his hand and walked right up to him and smashed it on his head well we were all surprised and then just broke into laughter which then ended up into a huge egg hurling fight. the cleanup was a nightmare but we were thankful for the dogs and cats we had!!! Well for the next 6 years after that there would always be one unlucky person who would be surprised by a egghead smash. the chickens got to be too much for my aging grandmother so the coop and all the eggs were moved to the families orchard for family members to look after. Lets just say after that she knew exactly how many eggs she always had :-( It was fun while it lasted!!!
  6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by