1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

$20.00 for a pullet??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmwright, Jul 22, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    So.....we recently lost 3/4 of our flock, and are looking to add more that were the same as the ones lost (since my daughter keeps asking about them).

I can't find 8 week old pullets of their breed anywhere!!! I finally found some at a farm that seems to be very reputable, but they want $20.00 for each one! Does that sound crazy to you? I bought mine for $4.99 each when they were 2 weeks old.

Check out the web site, let me know what you think. I want to make sure I'm not insane for thinking about paying that much....

http://www.trunorthfarm.com/TruNorth_Poultry_Pullets.html

Also, here's an exerpt from the site:

About Us
    TruNorth Farm is Contra Costa County's premier provider of young hens ("pullets"). We share our clients' commitment to creating a healthy and sustainable lifestyle, and we believe caring for and enjoying the benefits of a backyard flock are
    positive ways to embrace our environment.

We offer 100% breed standard pullets who arrive as day-old chicks from leading hatcheries across the U.S. Each chicken is hand-raised by our TruNorth team with the highest standard of care from the day they arrive to the day they are released to the public.

Breed Selection
    TruNorth Farm has evaluated over one hundred poultry breeds based on four key criteria: egg-laying frequency, friendliness (docile rating), adaptability (tolerance for confinement) and beauty. Only those breeds, in our team's opinion, best suited for your enjoyment make the journey to be raised at TruNorth Farm. 100% of our pullets are sourced from leading U.S. hatcheries. This insures that (1) each and every day-old chick begins its life from the highest quality breed stock, and (2) all chickens are professionally vaccinated for Marek's disease.

Pullet Development
    During their first four weeks, each "class" of pullets resides in temperature-controlled brooders where they receive around the clock attention and care. We monitor the health of every chick daily. After week four, they are relocated into a large protected coop where they enjoy lots of fresh air and the warmth of a custom heated shelter. Weeks five through eight are spent socializing, stretching, flying and bulking up on food during this fast growth stage.​

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    that sound like too much, but are the chickens show quality? if they are, then the breeder may be right to ask for so much. if your not looking for show quality birds though, i'd suggest you look elsewhere for your new birds.

3. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Songster

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I would be HAPPY to pay $20 for a pullet......IF IT LAYED SOLID GOLD EGGS!! Even 14k would be OK.......

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Depending on what you are looking for I found this place online. http://www.millriverfarm.com/hens.cfm They sell 6-8 week old started pullets for $8. I didn't look too far into their website but it might be another option for you.

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    that's the going rate for started pullets here. I just bought from TruNorth Farms. Rachel's birds are not bred there, but she will guarantee that they will be pullets, or your money back. Plus, she does handle the birds, so they are not as flighty as some. Many of us have her birds, and have been happy with them. Obviously, you can get cheap chicks at the feed store that might be 2 weeks old. It's your choice.

eta - the birds she has available right now are 12 weeks old. really, pretty much past the point of cocci issues, and gender is fairly obvious.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It sounds like they are just hatchery chicks. You could order them yourself if you wanted, then just sell the extra ones.

7. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Here in CT I've paid $10.00 (not very nice birds), $15.00 for three really nice birds, and $25.00 for others that were rare breeds. So I guess you could say it's all over the map. But, for such young birds that does sound like alot of money! And, that is coming from in CT where everything is really expensive!! [​IMG]

8. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    having just bought breeder Ameraucanas which turned out to be 100% roos from a straight-run, I can attest to the risk involved in buying young chicks. she is feeding and handling them for months, and guaranteeing their sex. that is why they cost so much.

9. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Beth G. :

Here in CT I've paid $10.00 (not very nice birds), $15.00 for three really nice birds, and $25.00 for others that were rare breeds. So I guess you could say it's all over the map. But, for such young birds that does sound like alot of money! And, that is coming from in CT where everything is really expensive!! [​IMG]

hers are 12 weeks old right now​

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    mine usually run $15-50, depending on breed. I wish I had more to sell, cuz they'd be sold already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by