1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

20 happy little chickies and me.. living by Las Vegas :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nausicaa, May 14, 2011.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    I have lurked quite a bit on this forum and then other, backyardherds..
    I'm living out on 20 acres ranchland and recently moved in 20 little chicks that I picked up at a country supply store [​IMG]

I quickly fell in love with my chicks, it often sounds silly to non-gardeners or non-animal people but I had always dreamed of having hens of my own. I've been a major gardener, growing lilacs, bulb flowers, raising orchards in California, and I had always wished for hens to pick out the garden pests. Unfortunately the neighborhood I lived in was hardly dog and cat friendly, let alone chicken friendly. After moving, I became fixated on finally finding some chicks. While I believe they are still only about 2 weeks old.. their energy amazes me...
    Today I set about working on their outdoor kennel where they spent quite a bit of time playing and catching bugs. I'm going to try to keep "snake proofing" it... if that is at all possible.. but I'm also afraid it might quickly become a fortress ;D
    Until now I had let them play in the bathroom they have their big buckets in, they flutter out whenever I remove the sheets. It's like once the sheet is lifted up they think; "Oh, it's party time," catching moths and any unfortunate insect who wandered in xD

Now I'm currently dreaming of getting some easter eggers and guinea fowl... once I start work on the next kennel and get the coop set up for the current chickies. I think my next kennel set up will be even better than the first.

EDIT: Forums won't let me post a photo of the chicks [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

3. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yay!!! There's one of my photos! That's one of them!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds. Cute chick.

8. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010