20 hens = NO EGGS

John T

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE, IA
It has been 3 weeks since I seen an egg from my hens. They went through a molting period, now nothing. I kept them in the coop for a week to so they would use the nestbox but still nothing. They were laying then I started getting 2-3 eggs daily then 1-2 eggs now “0”.

Anyone else having troubles at this time? If they don't start laying soon it's the block for them. I would much rather have eggs than an empty coop.

Any suggestions?

Try 100 hens = 3-4 eggs...............
somad.gif

My husband should be finishing the "lighting" project tonight.

I started lighting the coop a week ago, and still no eggs (from 4 hens). I don't think we've had a single egg since late September.
sad.png

Thanks for the fast replies. I did move their old nestboxes back into the coop. They were laying in the new one before but I'm hoping the old familiarness of the old nests will promt a laying spree.
big_smile.png

It's a sad day when I chicken farmer has to buy eggs at $4.00 dz.
sad.png

Do hens belong to a union? Is there a strike I'm not aware of?
hmm.png
I have been lighting my coop also. Nothing.

Unfortunatly I think it's all normal. I have molting hens and one that finished a molt last month, no eggs from any of them. Only two are laying and it's pretty random now, maybe four eggs a weeks tops. It's just the time of year and the molt. Come spring you will be back on track!! It's hard to wait though.
barnie.gif

No strike here in Kansas John T. Don't get jealous but I have 21 hens (6-7 mos) and I'm getting 12-15 eggs a day. I tell everyone that my chickens are 'happy' chickens. They do get to free range most of the day. I also found a nest inside of another barn that a couple of hens were using. Are you sure they aren't hidning them from you?
wink.png

I think it is a hen union thing, too!
big_smile.png
I posted about this a few weeks ago. Our hens quit laying way earlier than they ever have before, went through a hard moult, not one egg since...oh, wait....except Hedwig, and she's sitting on hers! When I posted about this before, people all over were saying the same thing. I don't know if the hens can sense it or not, but here they are predicting a cold winter and maybe the chickens know. Please don't slaughter or sell them for not laying...they do go through cycles and, if they are like ours, they will more than make up for it in the spring. We have about thirty hens. We are just trying to make sure as much as we can that ours are happy and healthy. I don't know where you're buying your eggs but here Kroger is selling them for 1.80 a dozen, last time I looked.

Back
Top Bottom