20 hens only 7 eggs at the most a day GOOD OR BAD????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tbridegroom, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

I have 20 hens of all different large breeds and ive only get anywhere between 2-7 eggs a day normally 4 eggs is average .. is this good or bad? do i have to many for my coop/run the coop is 8 by 8 and about 10 ft tall and the run is 25 by 50

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Depends on age and breed.

3. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

First off,how old are your chickens?

4. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

got told they jusst starting laying this last summer 2012 ....i have 28 eggs incubating im trying to decide if i should just get rid of all the chickens i have now after the new ones hopefully start laying this fall

5. CHICKEN CRAZY1

They are proably just coming out of winter laying cycle.

6. CHICKEN CRAZY1

I would wait and see.

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    X2 depending on breed?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree. As the daylength increases, so will egg production.

9. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    All of my hens are just about 1 year old. I have one Mille Fleur d'Uccle, one sultan mutt, one silkie, 4 white leghorns, and 6 EE's.
    All but the d'uccle have produced eggs. They did slow down (even stopped completely for 2 weeks) over the last couple months....I guess due to colder temps, less sunlight, but I live in Northeast Florida, and we've not had any serious cold this winter.
    Without knowing the age or breed , it is hard to tell. My Chickens, once they resumed, after their 2 week vacation, have been laying an egg per day each, except the silkie, sultan mutt, and the d'uccle.
    I would say that once it starts to warm up there, you will get more eggs. light hours, cold, age, breed, all are factors in egg laying, don't give up on them just yet[​IMG]

10. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    We take care of a friend's chickens also. All barred rocks and RIR's. They as well slowed to about 1/2 their normal (before winter) laying rate.
    Assuming the majority of your eggs hatch, and those hens start laying regularly, you're probably going to end up like me.....with way more eggs than a normal family can eat LOL.
    If your existing hens just started laying last year, they will pick up with the warmth and longer hours of sunlight!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by