$20 Homemade Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stitch, May 1, 2008.

1. stitch

stitch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Me and My son's little project chicks do next week...posted in another thread just thought i would post in the right place [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Looking at the pics, I see no ventilation? Eggs do need a little fresh air, especially when hatching.

Matt

3. stitch

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    yea ....there do in 8 days goign to drill some hole from the inside to the outside cover them up with aluminum slide door this weekend..

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just love it, it looks so neat and tidy! I was looking for the ventilation too though, maybe we just couldn't see it?

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Looks great! How's the temps holding? and humidity? I would drill about 8 holes or 2 per side, starting about the "pan level" with a 1/8 bit "no larger", and about 4 in the top just leave these open all the time plus u will need one at hatching time in the top about 1/2-3/4 with a plug that U can remove when the humidity gets real high. I also would paint the interior after this first hatch, just to make it easier to clean. [​IMG] Happy hatching!

6. stitch

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    ok thxs for the replys

7. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Looks good [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I've been researching for the creation of my own Homemade Incubator. But I noticed that you have the bulb without a guard... meaning nothing to keep the chicks away from it & being burned after hatching. Just wanted to mention [​IMG]

8. stitch

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    yea i need to do couple a things this weekend....but i hate to bother them now....may drill few holes....

9. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Very cool.

Don't worry. I believe ventilation was one of my biggest problems with my homemade incubator. That and my humidity was WAY high.

Keep us updated please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by