20 hr old poults still wet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sevenup, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Sevenup

Sevenup Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    I've got three Turkey poults that are still very wet looking, I haven't opened the incubator at all, they are between 18-24 hrs old, any suggestions?

2. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Not every one will agree with me on this,but I take them out of the bator & put them in the brooder under a light, as soon as they hatch. I drop the light closer every time I add a new chick then raise it a 1/2 hour later when the chick is dry. They fluff much faster, & I loose less chicks doing that......

3. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I do that too, wait until 2 have hatched and then add them after they have about 2 hours in the bator, or are making a nuisance of themselves in there

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you sure they are wet? Could they just be gummy? They look wet still when gummy, but when you touch them it will be crunchy feeling. I've had a couple chicks hatch this way, and they work it off in a few days.

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think that the humidity in the incubator keeps them wet longer.

6. Sevenup

Sevenup Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Ok, our turkey hatchlings are 3 days old now and I guess it was part high humidity in the bator and part "gummy".
    They look like they have spots here and there with "gel" on them.

7. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I had a few "sticky" chicks and they fluffed right up after being put in the brooder. The more interaction they have with the other chicks, the better,--it seems to help fluff up the sticky parts.

8. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I've never hatched in a bator, but it makes sense that rubbing against other chicks or a warm towel would help. Normally they would be sandwiched between mama's feather-duster underside and all of the siblings. My chicks that hatched with a broody took under an hour to fluff.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, they are gummy. They'll work out the sticky parts in a few days in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by