20 meat birds processed thru my NEW homemade plucker.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Meat Hunter, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I am always one to make something myself, even if I can buy it cheaper in the store. Fortunately for me, this one was very cheap to make.

Started off with a 10" piece of grain pipe auger. Ordered my fingers off ebay. Using my public education, I figured out the spacing for 8 rows of 5 fingers.
    Mounted on pillow blocks with a 5/8" running thru the center held in place by a 3/8" thick by 3" wide piece of flat iron that I welding in place. (Centered of course).
    To account for any variances in weight, I spun the unit with and electric grinder by running the disk on the edge of the grain auger. You can see the shinny part where I did this. I was pretty well balanced but had a slight wobble to it. While it was spinning at full speed, I slowly brought the point of a Sharpie marker up to the edge and let the unit basically "Jump" out to touch the marker. This gave me the off balance point. I then made a series of spot welds on the opposite side and it balanced it like a dream.

Made the framework, mounted the unit and used a 1725 RPM motor with a 1 1/2" Drive pulley hooked to a 12" driven pulley on the unit itself.

I put a cat liter bucket over the motor to keep moisture and other stuff like feathers off of it.

The motor mounting is made in such a way that the weight of the motor pulls down and keeps the belt tight. It is basically a slide that is hard to tell from the pics, but works very well. This allows me to change any of the pulleys should I decide to.

Fired it up, and it worked like a champ. The bird in the video, I did not have the water temp where it should be. That is why it took longer than normal to pluck. Otherwise, each bird took roughly 30 seconds.
    Freezer is full of chickens we raised, feed and processed ourselves. A very satisfying feeling.

Thanks for lookin. Any questions, just ask.

CLICK ON THE BOTTOM PIC TO SEE VIDEO OF THE MUTHER PLUKER IN ACTION......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG]

Come make me one!

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Wow, nice! Great job!

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Wow. I think I need to make one. I like the design and thanks for posting.

5. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    THE MUTHER PLUKER

[​IMG]

Nicely played...​

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    flippin' awesome!!!

and aside from the fact he was DOA, darn near looked to me like the bird was having a blast on the thing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by