20 min homemade candler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raisinemright, Jan 31, 2014.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    My daughter and I decided to steal one of my wifes candy tins and make a candler out if it. I think it turned out pretty good and effective. I would like to make a better seal around the hole at some point later. And I also need to get the right kind of light bulb, this one was just on hand. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm really proud of this simple little candler. Mostly because my daughter actually wanted to help with the project! But you should have seen her face when I cut the brand new cord into three sections lol. Then she finally figured out why. It's even got a festive theme to the can. Now we wait for some fertile eggs to arrive.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. lghrnlvr

lghrnlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    Very cute :)

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Nice work, go get a piece of 1 - 1 1/4 black foam pipe insulation, cut off 1/2 from end , glue to can top and you have a nifty seal.

4. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks, I was looking for a easy fix for that and it sounds like the pipe insulation will work great.

5. BrickWall Honey

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.

6. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks, it was super easy and fun to make. Just wish I had the parts laying around the house. I had to buy all new stuff came to $14 not bad but still.

7. BrickWall Honey

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.

8. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I found a solution that works perfect! It's a rubber washer for a sink drain it fits my large brown eggs like a glove. I was going to use the pipe insulation but my wife found this and it looked like it would work. Lucky me it did
    [​IMG] hardly any light leaks and with just the weight of my finger it seals up tight!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by