~20 month Hen, mucus stool, ? egg bound.... *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I am looking for some help. This morning I let my girls out of the coop and into the barn. Everyone came out, but my oldest hen Sunny (columbian Rock) did not come out. This is not like her. She is the alpha female in my mixed flock of 17. I went into the coop and found her under the bench. (two level coop). She was in the corner underneath. ( Where my chickens seem to go when feeling off). I noted that she had a lot of normal looking stool on her bottom. She is not normally dirty. I got her out and took her and a bucket of warm water into the greenhouse where it is warm and humid. I had noticed that she has not laid an egg for about a week, but I believed this to be due to the shorter and colder days. She was not pleased with me for taking her, but I got her there either way. I washed up her bottom. I gave her food and water and some sawdust to lay on. She drank lots. Ate some yogurt and oatmeal and is also eating dirt. I noted that her poop now is a mucus consistency. No one else is exhibiting these symptoms. I have a couple with runny noses including one who is broody (another issue). Everyone else is staying out of the wind in the barn. I thought the greenhouse would be the best sick bay as if she is egg bound( one of my thoughts) it is warm and humid. Anyone have any thoughts. I don't want to loose my Sun

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    im so sorry. i wish i could help. untill someone with more experience answers just make her as comfurtable as possible.

3. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    she is still wandering in the greenhouse some. Eating a lot of dirt. But will also stand with her eyes closed. The feathers on her bottom seem to fall out quite easily. A number of feathers on the ground. Do chickens feel unwell when they molt? Still noting yellowy white mucus stool. Please someone help!!!

4. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Someone please help. I kept her in the greenhouse in a makeshift spot. She is still ill looking, still drinking, still having mucus stools. Almost seems a challenge to poop. She perched after I encouraged her in to the space. She so wanted to go back to the coop. She has not preened her bottom since I washed it. Still losing a few feathers. Please someone help.....

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When my game/bantam went thru her first molt this past month she looked like she felt awful. Moopey and tail down not eating much. I brought her in and started giving her polyvisol w/iron 2 times a day also yogurt and scrambled eggs and her favorite mealworms. She was really off for about 3 days hardly even eating. I even gave her a nice warm soak in the sink she fell asleep. I also prayed for her I really love my chickens and believe prayer works. Well she finally started coming around in about 3 days. I let her back out with the flock and just watched her close. She's fine now. I've read alot on here about molt taking alot out of them, hopefully thats al thats wrong with your girl.

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks Miss Lydia. I hope so too. I am new to this so have not had any molts yet. What about egg bound?? What all would I see there do you know? Thanks for the reply.... feel really lonely in being able to help them when you don't get any responses.

7. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Sunny is still here. She seems to be feeling a bit better. Not eating a lot yet, but did take a few pieces of bread and some grain cereal. She is scratching around the greenhouse and more alert than she was the other day. Goes up each night to perch in her spot and is out in the morning. Will keep her there until she seems back to herself. No one else seems affected. Could she have eaten something she shouldn't have? I would have thought if egg bound she would be getting worse and a peritonitis she would likely be gone by now. Glad to see she seems better.

8. TolMayo

TolMayo New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    I know this is a very old thread, but I'm wondering what happened to your chicken. I'm having a similar experience right now. My california white chicken who is usually very rambunctious and our best egg layer has not laid an egg in 3 days. She seems to also be less active than usual, she will walk around but I've caught her standing still looking like she was going to fall asleep a number of times. This morning when I was cleaning some poop from the coop, I noticed a poop with a little bit of mucus on top... first time I've seen that...

9. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    TolMayo, I'd treat your hen as eggbound as a first option. Bring her inside in the warm, and sit her in a bowl of warm water for half an hour or so. Try to get some calcium in her - Tums! Or cheese or milk powder mixed with her usual pellets. Try to keep her eating & drinking. Search on these forums for 'egg bound' and read all you can. Keep her inside and warm and keep an eye on her poop. Keep us posted on how she's doing - at the moment her symptoms are quite vague so it might become a bit clearer over the next 24 hours.

10. kellyschooks

kellyschooks New Egg

Jul 3, 2015
    Hi I had the same problem so I wormed and gave three day antibiotic treatment. She perked up on first day but now five days later is standing with eyes closed and not eating again. I had been massaging her tummy and she liked it before treatment but now she wont let me touch her I am worried she has pain. I am thinking if the antibiotics haven't worked it must be a big problem her poop it watery white and mucus with blood now :( The other two chickens are still happy. I don't know what to do either?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by