20 month old barred rock hen died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jujuschicks, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jujuschicks

jujuschicks New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    I just had my first death in my flock of 8 hens. I feel that since they went through their first molt this past fall that I have had more worries than normal about their health. This hen (Chicken Little...generic I know!!!) has been a little quiet for about a month. She was eating and getting along with the others just fine. I thought her comb looked a bit pale and she seemed to be the first one asleep in the roost at night, but overall....not any thing that jumped out as serious. I did have a stool check done a few weeks ago and nothing showed as abnormal (I am not positive who's poo it was) I was away for a couple of days and left them in my husbands care....when I checked on them, Chicken L was fluffed up and not eating. I separated her right away. She had definitely lost weight. She would pick at food, pasta and green beans. She was alert when I spoke to her until this morning, then just stood with her eyes closed. She died quite quickly. I am at a loss ....I feel so bad that I didn't catch the fact that she was so very ill sooner:( The only truly unusual thing that I noticed was a day or so before I left I thought that the hen house smelled a little bit like ammonia . I keep it clean!!! I made sure I cleaned it out right away and the bedding felt more damp than usual. It has rained here record amounts for months!!!We need cold and snow!!!! I noticed that Chicken L also had a slight ammonia smell . Could that have meant something? Any advice will be appreciated. I do not want to lose any others. Thanks

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG]
    Worms pop up in my head......is it possible that the chicken that passed the feces had not been infected yet? Was she laying?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It sounds like she faded away for some reason. If her stool was clear of worms and cocci, then it could be ammonia, but unlikely unless you noticed her eyes tearing up and swelling. Ammonia can build up so fast it is unbelievable. The only real way to know is an autopsy, you can do this yourself, directions are easily found online or take to your local State Vet office and I think here it is $25.00 Often, it is just a case of failure to thrive. So sorry for your loss. HenZ

4. jujuschicks

jujuschicks New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    Thank you for your prompt replies:) I wish that I had thought to have her autopsied !!! She has already had her funeral..so too late now. I too suspected worms as she looked rather pale. I will have my vet do more stool checks. So far everyone else looks good. Fat and shiny. I am still a little concerned that she had an odor about her that the others do not. I am going to make sure I sweep out their house every few days to keep it dry. It is supposed to rain again this week Yuk!!!
    I'm going to miss that little chicken~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by