20 new chicks! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yellowappy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. yellowappy

yellowappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012
    We got 20 new chicks yesterday from Tractor Supply & I have a few questions... They are in the house now. How long until they can go in the coop with the other chickens? They are eating the same mash as the grown chickens we have outside is this ok for them? Can they have treats like the big chickens get & at what age do they start to lay eggs? Our demand is quickly outgrowing our egg supply! Thanks in advance for any & all advice

2. brendachicken

brendachicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    They can go out six weeks when fully feather don't put chicks in with big birds till they are full size. The adult chicken will kill chicks

1 person likes this.
  3. Caitlin_VT

Caitlin_VT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Vermont
    Chicks need to be fed chick food. Layer food has way too much calcium in it and not enough protein for growing chicks. They can be fed treats, but you need to supply chick grit so that they can break down the treats in their crops. Chickens usually start laying around 5 months, but it can really vary by breed. Some may not start until 9 months if they are slow to mature.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    I feed my girls chick starter/grower.They can go out when they are fully feathered,my 15 month year olds are almost fully feathered and counting down the days when they can go out to the coop because they are growing so fast,my six 3 week olds are getting their feathers,i am hoping to turn them all out at the same time.we just had a snow storm last wed. So spring is not helping me any.good luck on your chicks :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    I hope you wanted to say 15 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  6. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Lol i meant 15 who are a month old- does kinda look like 15 month olds sorry lol

1 person likes this.
  7. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

i put mine in the coop when they started to fly out

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowappy

yellowappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012
    Thanks for the info!!! I appreciate it :)

9. Chickencrazy12

Chickencrazy12 New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    I usually move my chicks outside when they are a day old into a brooder pen with a red heat light. That is where they stay up until they get about 2 2 1/2 months old. I feed them medicated chick starter feed until they are about 8 months old because of the protein. The only time hens are around my chicks is if they hatched them as their own. As for the egg laying part the answer above is correct. Mine start laying between 4 months to about 9 months. Good luck on your chicks and raising them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by