20 Pekin eggs into bator at noon yesterday...any tips?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Sep 5, 2009.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    When is the best time to start candling? I've seen "misting" the eggs mentioned...when do I start and how often?
    I appreciate any tips you can give me. I've hatched a gazillion chicken eggs but this is my first time working with duck eggs.

Michelle

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I've always read that if you mist the eggs, the protective wax coating gets worn off, making the eggs lose moisture faster.

And I've also read that you should candle on the seventh and fourteenth day, but I candle all throughout, probably daily. xD

I like to see 'em swimming around!

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Hi, I have never misted my duck eggs and they hatch fine. I also candle probably way too much but they hatch anyway.

Good luck with your hatching!

4. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thank ya Ladies!!

Am I right in having just the center well filled with water like I do with the chicken eggs or should I have the outer well filled as well? With chickens you don't fill the outer well until near the hatch date. Pekin eggs take 28 days, right? I'm going to be a nervous wreck all month ;-)

Michelle

5. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    A REALLY good investment is a cheap thermometer/hydrometer combo from Walmart or another similar store. You can then gauge the relative humidity in your particular incubator, just be sure not to get it wet, or the humidity readings will be out of whack. Trust me, I've been there. [​IMG]

Ducks need a lot more humidity than chickens, so I would definitely fill all of the wells until I could find a humidity gauge. You can get one for reptiles at a pet shop too if you aren't able to find one elsewhere.

And yeah, mallard-derived breeds take about 28 days, the only exception being Muscovies, which are not mallard-derived breeds, and take 35 days. Pekins are mallard-derived, in case you didn't know. [​IMG]

Oh, make sure to jack the humidity up really high near hatch day, or you may get a stuck duck. [​IMG]

EDIT: Forgot to ask, which type of incubator do you have? Not really necessary information, but I'm curious.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  6. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the great tips!!
    I have a Hovabator 1622 still air with an automatic turner in it.
    I have a walmart about 35 miles away, heading there today for groceries so I'll check out the therm/hydrometer combo while there. I'll also check out the co-op/feedstore.

Now I have to run and put water in the outer well with water.

Michelle

7. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Yeah, I got the least expensive one, it's white and only about seven dollars. Not a bad idea to get two in case one gets wet (if you try to disinfect it between uses accidentally... like me). [​IMG]

I /think/ you want the humidity around 60% throughout the incubation, and about 70-80% at hatch, but you should do some more research, since I'm going by memory. [​IMG] And it's not all that good. [​IMG]

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to mention.

If your Walmart is anything like ours, it'll be in the back, somewhere near the light bulbs and toilet seats. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  8. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    You're a Peach! Thanks for the tips, heading out the door for wallyworld right now :)

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by