1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

20 week americauna seems upset

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RainWatcher, Jul 27, 2011.

1. RainWatcher

RainWatcher New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    I have 2 americauna hens I got from a feed and seed on the edge of town and 2 americauna mixes a few weeks later at one day old.

One of the older two has started making a sort of long low bock at me that usually ends with a very loud squawk. It started last week and she seems to be the only one doing it. I've tried giving her treats and that doesn't seem to satisfy her, when I let them out to roam, she still does it. She hasn't grown waddles yet but her comb is getting rather red lately. Someone also kicked all the bedding out of the coop and she's digging deep holes in the run.

I'm also in south Carolina where the temperatures have been over 100 for the last few weeks. I've left them with frozen treats and frozen bottles of water to curl up wit during the day.

Is it possible that she's just stressed from the heat or could she be getting ready to lay?

I also switched their food about 4 weeks ago and this new stuff is really powdery. Maybe she's hungry?

Its so hard to tell what she wants! Any thoughts?

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    It is hard to say. I say it's a combination of a couple things but I'm only guessing because I'm relatively new to this chicken business myself. 1. She's getting ready to lay, she's at that age......have you seen any squatting? 2. The heat is annoying & making her miserable, that's why she's dug holes in the run.....dust bathe & cool herself down. When the temps are wicked here, my chicks dig holes in the garden soil and will lay there for quite some time.

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    My pure ameraucana hens seem to suffer more from the heat than any of my other birds. They do have a raucous voice and mine always are the first to let me know when there is something wrong or they are unhappy.

I suspect your hen is getting ready to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by