20 week brother and sister in same pen

fourreds

Hatching
Jul 23, 2015
Hello folks, I have a 20 week old brother and sister RIR in the same coop at night and free range during the day. I have four RIR hens that free range as well and have their own separate coop.
Recently the 20 week pullet has starting going to the hens coop and roosting in their nesting box making a big mess. I then have to get her out of the box and put her in her coop with her rooster brother. The brother always goes to his coop. I wouldn't mind her going into the hens coop if she would roost on the same roosting pole as the others

My question is why she doesn't go in her on coop with her brother and why doesn't she roost on the same pole as the hens?

Well,she probably wants to be apart of the hens flock,and if her brother is trying to seduce her,she won't wanna be around him.
Ina birds pecking order the roost take s part.When birds rooster at night usually lower his sit somewhere where they can avoid be pushed around,usually by the other lower hens.Well in this case,this hen is a lower ranking hen,so she has to avoid everybody,all young hens/pullets usually who are not laying yet,try to avoid the hens,that may be the reason.

You would be in a much better position to figure this out than all of us.

My guess is that your RIR pullet is having issues in her coop with the RIR cockerel. What you need to do is watch them roost. See if he gives her a bad time when she tries to get onto the perch. Troubles at roosting time is one of the leading causes of chickens not wanting to use the coop they've been accustomed to.

Another thing you need to do is block off the nest box at night. I have a problem with a couple of my hens wanting to use a nest box to sleep in, and I rigged up a gate made from field fencing. I just slide it in at night and remove it in the morning.

Whenever you have a problem with your chickens, the best thing to do is to observe them and see what's going on in their world that's making them unhappy. Once you've identified what is causing the problem, then you can fix it.

That was my problem.Pullets and cockerals were being pushed arounda,nd beat on up until they started laying eggs,and the roos strated fighting.

Back
Top Bottom