1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

20 week Buff Orp - not yet laying, but today noticed vent is VERY red....eggs on the way, or problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iheartnh, Jul 25, 2013.

1. iheartnh

iheartnh Songster

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    My flock is roughly 20 weeks old and not yet laying, though a couple of the hens are pretty red in the comb/wattles - and one in particular is VERY red and obviously more mature than the rest. She has been incredibly vocal over the last week or so, and eating like a hog - which has me excited, because I'm thinking she may be getting ready to lay.

Earlier today, I noticed when she bent over to eat something, her vent is quite red. As I said, she's eating and drinking like a champ, poop is normal, she doesn't seem "off" at all (we have lost 2 hens to illness that had symptoms before I knew they were symptoms, so now I cast a pretty wide net for "off" - this hen's behavior is fine). She does not enjoy being handled, so I figured I would ask here before I violated her dignity - is this something to be concerned about, or is it a sign that I should be getting ready to celebrate? And if it is a good sign - any estimates on how soon an egg would drop? We are going on vacation in a couple of days - I'd hate to miss kick-off!

Thanks!

2. iheartnh

iheartnh Songster

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    OK, so I opted to investigate. I'm not sure what I saw that looked red, because her vent is the normal color and I couldn't find any red areas at all. [​IMG] But she did do a bit of a egg squat before I snatched her up, so I guess I was on the right track with her other behavior.....I just need to have my eyes examined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by