20-week old Ameraucauna pullets...when should they begin laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm a first time chicken owner, and so looking forward to "home grown" eggs! I have 6 pullets (and, unfortunately, a roo that's pestering the heck out of them). I've been checking twice daily, but no eggs yet. Am I getting over-anxious, or should eggs be arriving soon? I've got them in a 20x40 run with a coop inside, and leave the coop open during the day, but shut them in at night.

Another question - should I leave Maurice (roo) out by himself in the run at night? I'm a little worried that with the closer quarters of the coop, the pullets might not be able to get away from him when he hops on...maybe I'm worry too much.

Thanks for your help!

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, WELCOME to the forum.Yes any day now, you should be seeing their combs and wattles turning red.

My cockerel goes to bed with the ladies and they are just fine even though I have onlly 2 pullets and him.....

My banty cochin is STILL not laying while my EE has been laying for weeks, so its very individual - like women getting their first period....HTH

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for reply - combs have been red for some time now...do you mean turning more red?

I'm not sure if my roo is an Ameraucauna or not (I ordered with a friend who orderd Black Sex Link and Comet). He's red and black with a green tail. A pretty handsome dude! Wondering what breed he is...hoping he's an Ameraucauna.

I'll watch for eggs - thanks again for reply!!

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Welcome to byc! I had 3 americaunas start laying at 21 weeks and 2 at 28 weeks. So it should be anytime for you.
    Good luck. [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, Heidi, and thanks again, MeanQueenNadine!
    Interesting info. on this forum (this is actually the first forum I've joined).
    I'm in Michigan also, so perhaps I'll get lucky & my girls will be toward the 21-week mark like yours were.
    Is it okay to ask breed-specific questions? I read the rules and didn't see anything saying I shouldn't...I'm curious about Cuckoo Maran chickens, and would like to add a few to my brood next year, but am reading mixed info. on their temperament.
    Thanks again!

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Just post your breed question in the "Breeds in General" forum - thats what its there for. Again welcome to a new addiction.

If their combs have been red for some time now - stay on high alert.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    if there combs are red then she probably has a nest some where hid

8. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    my EE started laying long after my banty cochin did. i went to a wedding for 2 days and got back and her comb was a lot bigger and redder, she laid 2 weeks after that. also, when they start letting the rooster ride, that is a sign of sexual maturity. do they squat when you approach them? that is also a sign.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine are 23 weeks old and i have not gotten eggs yet. I think you should let the roo sleep inside with the girls. Maybe you could post pictures of your chickens for us?????

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Okay...trying to post pics of my girls & roo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does my roo look like an Ameraucauna? I'm hoping so!
    Okay, you won't believe this...I'm just sure of it. But when I got home after work yesterday and checked the coop, lo & behold, my very first egg! I'm so EGGcited I can hardly stand it! Out of Halle, my Black S Link. Will await blue or greens!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by