1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

20 Week Old Buff Orpington: Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Styrofoam, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Styrofoam

Styrofoam New Egg

Jul 20, 2013
    Hello everyone,

20 weeks ago I bought two one day old Buff Orpington chicks from a feed store. They were supposedly hens (according to the hatchery), however, we all know they make mistakes. I am fairly certain that one of them is a hen, however, I can't quite figure out if this one is a rooster or hen. I know they are close to laying age and crowing age (if it is a rooster), but I have never heard this one crow. It can get a little bit aggressive at times and chase the other one into corners and stick it's head up, but this only happens sometimes in the morning, other than that, it is a very gentile bird. A couple of days ago it's tail feathers started to appear slightly ruffled and I'm not sure if this is a symptom of it being a rooster or another problem, if it is, I'm unaware of what it would be. Below are pictures of the bird in question;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    pullet

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    That's a girl. Male features would be obvious by now.

4. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Wouldn't it be crowing by now if a roo

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    rooster mature at different rates their isnt a set age that they should be crowing by

6. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    That's not good news for me I have 28 chicks and there better be no crowing or it will be a day trip to butcher shop.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    if you start a new thread in the what breedor gender is this fourm,im sure someone will be able to tell you gender, well depending on age

8. Styrofoam

Styrofoam New Egg

Jul 20, 2013
    Glad to hear she is most likely a she. I was just getting nervous because she was being very dominant this morning and seeing her tail feathers all messy made me nervous she may have been a rooster. I had also read that some Buff Orps crow very late which also prompted me to ask here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by