20 week old chickens stopped laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by norahschicks, Sep 9, 2009.

1. norahschicks

norahschicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    NH
    HI

My 20 week old layers, Gave us 3 eggs and have now stopped!! I was surprised to see them starting to lay......it was 2 weeks ago! So I started them on the laying feed last week and well they haven't given me anymore since.....it has been a week and 1/2. Hmmmm....... could they have stopped OR are they hiding them?? I have looked all over the coop, I don't see one to my eyes anyway! AND by the way one of the eggs was a clear worm like egg......i guess it had no shell to it, was very freaky looking! AND they keep pooping in there nests!!! EEEkkkkkk are we doing thing all wrong here!![​IMG]

2. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    Give them some oyster shell,and make sure the have grit. Sand is the cheapest grit. Feed them a good quality feed like purina.
    Put roof over nest boxes takes awhile before the chickens learn to use a roost. Once they learn to use the roost there should not be much poop in the nest box,seems there are always a few messy birds in a flock. Make sure you don't have to many roosters putting stress on the hens,1 rooster per 10 hens if you want fertile eggs.
    Also don't feed tomatoes to the hens they will stop egg production. Good luck at the farm

3. thatpotteryguy

thatpotteryguy Passing as a responsible adult

Jun 20, 2009
    Adamstonwn, MD
    Don't feed tomatoes? Really? My girls love 'em, and the older layers (the pullets haven't started yet) don't seem to be bothered by them.

4. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    Tomatoes stop egg production?????

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    What mine eat toms all the time...only one has stopped laying and shes broody!

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Tomatos never stopped any of mine from not laying They love them.

7. norahschicks

Sep 9, 2009
    NH
    Thanks Sky watcher!!!
    I'll have to try the covering their nests!!! I have the oscal mixed in thier food! I hope no critters are scaring them at night!! I have them locked in there little hen house!! THANKS

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I believe anything that destracts them from eating the well balanced layer feed may effect egg production.

Hens do not like change.....any change is bad for laying lol

9. norahschicks

Sep 9, 2009
    NH
    HHmmm so should I cut back on kitchen scraps and push more pellets? I use Poulin layer pellets and mix in some oscal!

10. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Make sure they have oyster shell and grit like skywalker said--even if they are now on layer feed. Don't want to scare you, but they may have laid some soft/no shell eggs and then eaten them. Young pullets are prone to this when first laying--mine did that. As they build up calcium reserves, and get egg plumbing in shape, they should do better. Keep an eye on them and make sure to collect eggs frequently. BTW--I think kitchen scraps are fine, greens, vegetables, are all good, and it keeps them entertained and out of trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by