20 week old ducks/none laying? Head movement...what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok so I have ducks that are all turning 20 weeks old on the 28 of this month, none are laying. They are in a large fenced yard with a large coop and we have been looking daily for our eggs :( They get plenty of food and water. They are doing this funny head movement while walking by the other ducks...what does that mean? Just the females are doing it. The male I have never seen do it. THey kind of quack while bobbing head up and down while rubbing against another female. First time owning ducks so It's all new to me here!~ Loving it though :D

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Don't be alarmed that they are not laying. None of mine started laying before 24 weeks of age.

2. My female ducks always do that head bobbing thing when they are in the "Mood"

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking but the male just looks at them all and walks away! I don't think he gets it yet ;/ So MAYBE that is a sign that I will see eggs soon? They have been doing that head thing for about 2-3 weeks now already. My drake has his boy feather but he has not tried to mate them yet. I have pekin, blue sweedish, cayuga, Rouen, and a couple others. Mostly cayuga's though and 13 in total (one being a boy) maybe he's overwhelmed with girls? [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It's honestly not a good indicator of laying soon. However, it is a good sign hormones are kicking in. Depending on your climate they may not start until next spring or only lay a few weeks this year. LOL my drakes gave them the "No Thanks" look for awhile too. Trust me pretty soon they will have no problem trying to mate. The big issue will be trying to get them to take a break from it [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thank you for your help...gives me hope that we MAY see some eggs soon. I hope!~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by