20 week old meat bird pet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickensducks&agoose, Nov 20, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

We decided that her life has been hard enough, (survived a fox attack) and are keeping her as a pet until her quality of life diminishes... at which point, we will treat her with respect and bury her. She seems awesome so far, and we are trying to restrict her feed, but I did find her IN the feed can, just gorging herself.. one of my kids left the lid off. she roosts at 3 feet, with the other birds, and is doing great. We did process/eat all her old friends, but she's getting along fine with the egg layers.

I tried to pick her up last night, since she wasn't roosting over the middle support, and the roost was bending... and I thought she was frozen to the wood... but she was just so, super heavy that she wasn't moving when I tried to lift. I'm going to weigh her soon.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol i raised some i got from tsc like normal chickens free range regular feed and it is the same size as my rir rooster maybe a lil bigger and is an awsome layer

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i would add a lower roost for her so she doesn't hurt herself jumping down since she's getting so big

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Agree. It would be a shame for her to break a leg at this point. That would be a death sentence for her. Good luck.

5. chickensducks&agoose

She's doing really well, started roosting on a wire cage that I keep in the coop for isolation purposes. here's a picture of her (the white one) with her 4 adopted 'babies'.

[​IMG]

6. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Is her weight natural for meat chickens or is she on a special diet? I were told by a few to place my roos on grain for meat birds but can't see myself doing this since they are my pets. I don't know enough about it in regards to pros and cons.

7. chickensducks&agoose

I just feed her less than I feed the others... she's still huge though, but seems real healthy.

8. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    chickensducks&agoose :

I just feed her less than I feed the others... she's still huge though, but seems real healthy.

That's good. I hope she has a long and happy life and lays you lots of giant eggs! [​IMG]

9. chickensducks&agoose

when do they generally start laying eggs? i got her in july... so she's 22 weeks. i don't care if she lays eggs, I'm keeping her anyway, look how she puts up with those giant babies after SO long!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by