20 Week old Mysteries

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hangin'witthepeeps, Oct 12, 2009.

1. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I hatched these chickens myself and have always wondered what some of them are. Here are the ones that were sold to me as Silver Laced Wyandottes and the eggs when I received them. I know the owner had Polish, Welsummer, Cochins, SLW, Cuckoo Marans and Light Brahmas. I now know she also had them in the pen together (including all the roos). So what do you think. What kind of eggs will I get. They should be laying anytime, except for Mr. T who only crows a few times in the AM.

Hatching Eggs
    [​IMG]

Ike Turner (affectionately called Mr. T)
    [​IMG]

Tina Turner (Mrs. T)
    [​IMG]

Road Runner, don't we all have that one chicken named Road Runner, fastest chicken in the east!!! lol
    [​IMG]

Marie
    [​IMG]

I hatched out a lot, but gave the Light Brahma looking ones away to a friend who wanted to start his own flock. Thanks for looking.

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Ike Turner looks like a Polish mix to me. Tina Turner too. Road Runner has got Cochin. and Marie a Maran.

3. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    1 looks like silver laced wyandotte roo.

2 not sure

3 selx links hen

4 barred rock or dominque hen

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The first 2 look like SLW and Polish cross, the 3rd looks like a gold laced wyandotte, and the last I think is a barred rock. Whatkind of comb does she have?
    Looks like you'll be getting all brown eggs! Yum!

5. hangin'witthepeeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    Marie the barred hen has the funniest comb. I would say is a Rose comb with out the horn in the back. It has tons of little pointy buds on it. Road Runner has a cushion comb and green ear parts, no lobes. Mr. and Mrs. T have a Rose comb without the horn and lots of bumps like Marie.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Here's what I think...for what it's worth! LOL! [​IMG]

I think Mr. T is a Polish/Wyandotte mix. He's got the lacing and the size of a Wyandotte, but the "topknot" of a Polish.

Mrs. T could be the same thing. She looks like she's got double-lacing or penciling on her feathers.

Roadrunner looks like a Welsummer mix. Not sure what the other half is, but her head (except for the pea comb) looks a lot like my Welsummer hen. Who, by the way, is also a superfast chicken! LOL!

I am thinking that Marie is a Cuckoo Maran. Maybe she is purebred? Her comb looks like a pea comb, though, and Marans have straight. She would almost look like a Dominique, but your friend doesn't have those, and I think the color is too muddled. Dominiques are more barred like Barred Rocks. That's what makes her look like a Maran.

Pretty chickens! You'll be getting lots of nice brown eggs. Maybe even a pretty dark one from Marie!

Congrats!

Shelly

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well going off the breed that you said you know see has I would say:
    1- Silver Laced Wyandotte/ Polish Cross
    2- Silver LacedWyandotte / Polish Cross
    Now the next 2 the Breed/Cross I think they are aren't on your list
    3- Gold Laced Wyandotte/ EE Cross ( She has a rose comb BUT has green legs )
    4- Dominiques/Cuckoo Maran Cross ( Has a rose comb like a Dom. BUT has what looks to White legs )

Chris

8. hangin'witthepeeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I guess I need to clarify. I bought these eggs from a BYC member sold to me as SLW. As they grew I know they were not so I did some anonymous snooping (as I did not want to cause trouble for the person) and these are the breeds I have discovered and the member is now selling as mixed breeds now. They could have other breeds that I know nothing about. So your guesses are just for my pleasure and I was curious as these were the eggs I incubated. Will they lay the same color as the mom or could I get different colors? Like Roadrunner being technically an EE, could she lay green or just brown like she came from? If Marie is a part Cuckoo Maran will hers be dark brown or light (like she came from). Will Mrs. T lay white or cream (Polish) or brown (like she came from). Thanks

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I may be wrong, but I think the darker color eggs are genetically dominant? What I mean is, people add Marans to their other eggs to darken them up. If you have a white egg layer and a brown egg layer and breed them, then it will be a lighter brown egg. The darker egg breed will always darken the lighter eggs. Make sense? So, all of these will have some degree of brown eggs. Unless one is an EE mix, then she could lay green, olive, pink, or brown eggs. There are some people breeding for the olive eggs and I think they use Marans/Ameraucana or EE mixes for this.

Edited to add...if you bought them as pure SLW, I hope you received a refund. [​IMG] They are pretty, anyway.

Shelly

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think you'll probably get all brown eggs- except maybe a light olive egg from the gold laced girl if she's got EE in her. The marans/dom girl will probably lay darker brown eggs.

That sucks that you were misled about the eggs- I'd be pretty mad about that. If I wanted mystery birds I would make them myself [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by