~20 week-old Rhode Island Red X Australorp - male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cheeeeeah, Dec 31, 2012.

1. cheeeeeah

cheeeeeah New Egg

Dec 31, 2012
    Help! I'm really concerned it's a male.... I live in an area that does not allow roosters, so need to know ASAP. If it is a male, it hasn't started crowing yet. Over the last three weeks, it actually outgrew in size my two ISA browns which are at least 2 months older than this chicken. This chicken seems to be more feisty than the other three I have (i.e. it's a little more dominant when it comes to feeding time) - BUT one of the older ISA brown hens still seems to pick on this chicken.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say boy. Note the red feathers he has.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh yeah rooster.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get pics without the fence in the way? its really hard to tell but i do not see any saddles nor hackles which should be evident at this time

5. cheeeeeah

cheeeeeah New Egg

Dec 31, 2012
    Thank you all for replying! I did not expect such an immediate response. Another details: his hips appear narrower than that of the two ISA browns. See attached.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm on the wall with this one as i don't see any real saddles and the hackles are still that of a pullets. the red on the wings doesn't mean anything its just leakage. i think you may see eggs from that one instead of crowing but again its iffy

7. Pekin bantams

Pekin bantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    looks like a rooster to me. its tail feathers give it away

8. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Same here. Can you tell by picking him/her up or petting him or just plain listening to him/her whether s/he sounds more hen- or roo-ish? Does that make sense at all? That's one thing that I
    'look' for when I'm having a difficult time telling the gender of an adolescent chicken. The roos really seem to squawk/ scream and make a big fuss when I 'mess' with them while the pullets seem to have a more quiet, 'gentle' squawk. Has your chicken submitted to you at all?

9. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Cockerel

10. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm on the fence with this one- for that age, he could be either a slow comb developer or she could be near point of lay since the comb and wattles aren't really big

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by