20 weeks, no eggs.

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
Getting impatient here. 5 Black Austrolops, 5 Barred Rock, 3 Gold Sex Links, and 3 Rhode Island Reds. I chose these breeds because they are all supposed to be steady egg producers. They have a safe house, they get to free range for a few hours every evening, plenty of high quality food, clean water, and a large run. Added a few Black Austrolop roosters two weeks ago, and all get along fine. The roos are even doing their bid'ness.

I know I need to be patient. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Patience Grasshopper. Twenty weeks is a very loose rule of thumb. Some will lay earlier than that, others will be much later.

Just be sure that they haven't chosen to lay elsewhere during their free range time.

Patience.

Plus it is HOT outside. Would you want to go sit in a hot little nesting box and try to force something that large out of your cloaca? I think not.

I don't have a cloaca.
wink.png
Plus, it has been very temperate here for the last few weeks with temps around 70 at most.

I know, I need to be patient.

Would they get the hint if I started bumping a few of them off? I was hoping they would get the hint after I butchered my CX.

Chickens can't count and have notoriously short memories. I doubt they'd notice if one or two were "made examples of".
wink.png

Too many treats??? If you are giving them a lot of extra grains or fruits, don't. Greens and feed.

Back
Top Bottom