20 Weeks Old and Still Little Pink Combs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by binders, Oct 18, 2011.

1. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    My 7 pullets are now right around 20 weeks old and they still have little combs and wattles and are still very pink. Their faces have not turned red either. Is it just a matter of time so could something be wrong with them that I should be dealing with? They are a mixed flock of White Leghorn, Black Australorp, Salmon Favarolle, Welsummer, Black copper Maran, and a Mutt (one of each).
    The reason I think it might not be justy a matter of time is that they have been very lightly sneezing for the past month and a half. They are still eating and drinking well and if not for the occassional sneeze they seem healthy. When I first started to hear them sneeze I treated them with duramyclin-10 but it didn'e seem to make any difference.

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Any swelling/discharge from eyes, nares, around the face? Ours will occasionally sneeze, but that's normal (even we do it!) if there's no other signs/symptoms of illness. Beyond that, not sure. They all mature at their own rates and some are much slower than others (despite the breed).

3. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    One had, not a swollen eye, but an eye that she wanted to keep closed. She would open it when needed but wanted to keep it closed. There has been no discharge thought from either the eye so noses. She is eating well and free ranges along with the others. I do notice though that she will also go on her own and just stand there with her eye closed. Other eye is usually open. I don't see anything wrong with the eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by