20 weeks old....still no eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smalltownchicks, Nov 10, 2011.

1. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    We have 7 hens and still no eggs. I've read that they slow down in the winter. Do you think my girls will wait until Spring to lay any at all?
    I'm really trying to be patient but it's so hard [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

First year pullets generally lay through winter.

20 weeks is still young! It all depends on breed. My BR was 6 months old when she started laying. My mutt was 7 months old..

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They'll lay, don't worry.....The average age to begin laying is 20 weeks. Some start at 17 weeks, while others take 25 weeks or even longer. Depends on the breed, as well as environmental factors.

What kind of pullets do you have?

Sharon

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Most of my spring pullets didn't lay till 8 mths. They are laying pretty good. Yesterday all but one laid [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First year pullets do indeed, usually, lay well through their first winter, but your's are a bit young. They may also be delayed by the lack of sunlight hours this time of year. You have a choice. You can give them a few hours of pre-dawn lighting, by using simple $6 timer and an inexpensive to operate mini Florescent. Most folks have it come on at 5 am and go off at 10 am.

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

The Ameraucana pullets I purchased as chicks this year just started laying a few weeks ago at 7 months old. Hope yours start laying soon for you [​IMG]

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I have 20 7-month old pullets that haven't laid yet and they're under lights. The wait is hard but I know they'll lay when they're ready.

8. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    MIne are 8 months old and still no eggs. I am getting ready to just get rid of all my chickens.
    Chris

9. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    My last BR girl finally started laying. Her first egg--a double yolker-- at 25 weeks. Thought I'd go insane waiting. Just give it time. They lay when they're ready! They have no regard for our feelings in the matter!

10. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    From reading many posts here on the board we all have chickens around the same age-20 weeks or so who are waiting for that first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by