20 weeks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caseykevin, Nov 9, 2014.

1. caseykevin

caseykevin New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    My chickens are 20 weeks old now and just started laying there first eggs not consistently yet but when should I start feeding em layer feed?

2. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Now.

3. caseykevin

caseykevin New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    What's a good brand to use? And are there first eggs normally smaller than usual? I know some of these questions may come off stupid but new to chicken world

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If you wish to use layer feed and all the birds are female and over 18 weeks of age you can feed layer feed now. I say "if" because you can (and should in a flock of mixed gender and/or age - or with birds of laying age who are not currently laying due to molt, age, broodiness, etc) feed a grower ration for the entire life span of your birds and offer free choice calcium (oyster shell) to be consumed by those birds who are actively producing eggs.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, by the way.
    There are no stupid questions - everyone has to learn and the way to do that is by asking questions.
    Yes, most pullets will begin production with eggs that are small - as the bird progresses in that first laying cycle, the eggs increase in size and regularity.
    What brands are readily available to you through your local feed stores? Knowing what you have to choose from can be helpful in recommending feeds. Are your birds all female? Are they all 20 weeks of age or older? Are you wanting to stick to particular practices such as organic, GMO free, etc? Is controlling your feed costs an important factor? Are your birds free ranging for any part of the day? Are you feeding scraps and/or scratch or other treats frequently?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. caseykevin

caseykevin New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Thank you and yes all my chickens are same age and female no I worry bout free ranging them due to there wings not being clipped and I have grown to love my chickens and don't wanna take a chance and I have noticed I bought one of those flock blocks supposedly have calcium and bunch of other grains and such in it and since then they haven't really touched there food food is that normal? And should I remove it so they will eat there regular feed? And far as organic and all that I guess what's the best option?

7. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    They won't fly away, if that is your concern. Chickens are not like a parakeet that would likely fly away for good if you let them out of their cage. They will come back to the coop. Wing clipping is pretty rare, from what I understand...some breeds are more prone to wanting to roost in trees.

I'd remove the flock block for now and just bring it out for an occasional treat. You want them eating mostly a balanced diet, which will be their feed.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. caseykevin

caseykevin New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Thanks for your help I'll remove the block and I picked up nutrenalayer feed 16% is that good feed? And are there first few eggs normally smaller than usual?

9. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I'd recommend using Purina Mill's Flock Raiser. Works great for me and has 20% protein which I really like.

*Thanks @Ol Grey Mare for correcting me about the corn ratio*

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Great feed - but there are a couple of problems with your post. Corn is not a bad ingredient for poultry feed and Flock Raiser does, indeed, contain corn. It was actually the first ingredient listed previously (Ground Corn) - now the list merely lists "grain products" which is often used to describe many grains, including corn, - so I inquired with the Purina rep who has begun posting here and he has just confirmed that it does contain corn. Because of the whole "No Corn, No Soy" bandwagon, products which are formulated to not contain those ingredients tend to have the fact stated loud and proud in big, bold lettering on the packaging/bag - note that is not anywhere on this bag.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by