1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

-20 wind chill expected tonight

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hoosierhen, Jan 19, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Here in Indiana it's supposed to get really cold tonight! I told my DH we may have chickens in the garage or basement for a couple of nights! He just rolled his eyes at me! I hope it doesn't come to that, I can just envision the mess!
    I did stop by Tractor Supply and pick up another red heat bulb yesterday, so now I will have 2. I also decreased the size of the entry to their roosting area with some heavy cardboard. Hopefully that will suffice.
    I also got my nesting boxes from egg carton.com yesterday, and put them in the henhouse. Plus, (yesterday was a very chickeny day for me) when I was at work I sat in on a family conference where the wife of one of my patients was saying her husband wanted chickens for their backyard, and wasn't that silly! My supervisor was there and laughed, and told the lady that I have chickens! I spent the rest of the conference chatting about chickens with another family member of this patient's family, and he loaned me his current issue of Backyard Poultry! We're everywhere! CHICKEN LOVERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I spent the rest of the conference chatting about chickens with another family member of this patient's family, and he loaned me his current issue of Backyard Poultry! We're everywhere! CHICKEN LOVERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

LOL, great enabling going ont here with that chicken addiction, haha!! I use those red lights too (I call them lizard lights becasue they came from the reptile section of our petsmart and emit 100 watts of heat). Before I started using them , even with my 12 hens being closed up in the "A" part of my coop, the water up there sometimes had a thin layer of ice on it, since the lights that never happens and I think they are nice and cosy. Did you all really have a wind chill that cold last night? We were supposed to get a snow/sleet event and got rain, still raining..not complaining though, helps our drought alot. Have a great day fellow chicken lover of the world, lol!! Darlene​

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

The worst part of the cold, will be here Saturday night. Wind chills -20. BRRRRRRRRRRR. I went out yesterday, and bought 4 more heat lamps. Everyone is tucked in tight....im hopeing I dont lose any either. WOW....now THIS is cold! I couldn't find the red lights...so had to go with the 150 watt white. I just hope its good enough. Poor babies.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We had -30 below [​IMG] air temps this morning! I was glad the wind was still while I did chores and milking. There is suppose to be wind today and the temp is suppose to get up to -4. [​IMG]

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    My Goodness, Maybe I don't have to follow my dream of moving to Alaska. I can just move to Indiana or Wisconsin. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I will be think warm thoughts towards y'all.

6. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I am currently pumping about 650 watts of heat into my little coop. That can't be good for the electric bill....ugh! My little thermometer in the coop is showing 47 degrees (it is about 7 degrees outside right now).

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oowee! It is cold! [​IMG] I'll be running the red lamp in with the boys & girls around the clock for the next few days. The boys are in an uninsulated shed but it still keeps it about 20 in there for them and I made one of those cookie can heaters under their waterer. The girls are in a insulated coop though I have their door opened a bit so they can scratch around in the inclosed run. The temp in the coop usually drops down around freezing when I open it up but it does allow them some room to roam & actually heats up the run just a bit. I'll put them to bed early for the next few days. I'm ready for spring and new chickies!!! [​IMG]
    I will count my blessings though and one of them is the nice bit of sunshine we are having. We're transplanted Southwesterners, (Colorado, New Mexioco, AZ)and that is one thing we miss a whole lot .. . . all that beautiful SUNSHINE!! Take care and stay warm!!! <>< Barb

8. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Its -9 with the windchill right now. The chickens, as usual, came flying out of the coop this morning when I opened the door. They didn't seem to mind the temperature as they attempted to scratch around in the frozen ground.

It looks like the Packers game tomorrow night is going to be a bit frigid!

9. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    My chickens are staying in the garage tonight...or maybe the bathroom? [​IMG]

10. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    It was 5 degrees here this morning. All the girls came out for some warm cooked oatmeal - of course they were hopping from one leg to the other while eating. After they were done they all went back in. I might just close their access door for the next 2 days. I have a 60 watt bulb in the coop which seems to be keeping the inside somewhat tolerable. My husband actually volunteered to build a coop in the garage for me this winter and I declined - what was I thinking - oh, that I would have to brush the snow and scrap the ice off my SUV all winter - that's what I was thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by