20 yrs til retirement!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RockyToggRanch, Sep 4, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sorry, I'm on vacation this week and enjoying hanging out with my critters and doing some canning and tons of wood splitting and stacking. Yeah... it's awsome. Hubby is also home, but due to a second atv accident this year and a second month off work. It just makes me wonder...how on earth I can work another 20 years??? I've worked 25+ years and I really just want to hang out with my birds and horses.
    I soo don't want to leave them on Monday. I am going to put my incubator in my office in the spring and hatch some pheasants. The secretary doesn't know it yet, but he'll be turning eggs a few times a day. (I'm in the field most of the week). It'll give me a reason to go to the office!
    So I suppose I have to work for now in order to pay vet bills and buy canning jars. Hee.hee. ($9. dz.) But if I get snowed in...(I heard it a million times growing up and it's stuck in my head) I'll have food! and fresh eggs! And goats milk! Let it snow!!!!!

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I used to love going to work, but the airline business is so frustrating and messed up that now I want to retire, too. I was in Haiti this week for tropical storm Hanna. If I made a list of things I don't like doing, flying around Haiti in a tropical storm would be right up near the top.

I asked my wife the math genius to run the numbers and see how soon I can quit.

She reported back: "Fly 'til you die."

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Braham,

I am right there with you. Ya know how you always have the fantasy you share with people what you will do if you win the lottery?

when I tell people what I would do they pick up the phone to call the people with the white jackets to come pick me up.

I will buy about 40 acres have a reasonable sized house maybe 3500 square feet with a wrap around porch, it has to have a wrap around porch. THEN, I will build a huge red barn, with a rock foundation that would be three feet high, a silo (just for looks) and it would be surrounded by a white rail fence. I would also have about a 8 acre lake.

THEN, I would start buying all the chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, minature horses etc etc etc I wanted.

I would have died and gone to heavan, what more would I want or need???

4. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    OOhhh yeah.... I have the log home in the woods with 60 acres. My 30x30 barn is scheduled for this month, although without the lottery will not be as pretty as that picture you painted for me. I could not afford any of it if we both didn't work fulltime. Our youngest is 2nd yr in college. (paying her way as her sister did). I would love to have the "time", but like I've always said..."You either have the time or the money..never both". It's torture I say!

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I started thinking about retirement when I was 35. Too bad I didn't start DOING anything about it then!! I have come to the conclusion (AFTER dealing with my MIL'S situation) that it is THE one area where we ladies need to get smart and mercenary deadly. I have seen the future for broke, dependant women and, trust me, it ain't pretty.

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have a reason to get through my day...actually several feathered, apreciative, glad to see me..reasons. I will not work too much..I have chickens waiting at home for me..I must go!

7. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    It probably was a bad thing that I tapped into my IRA to build this barn.[​IMG] Whatever.. I saw it shriveling for the last year and thought it couldn't hurt!

8. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I retired at 42. DH retires in Dec at 43. We have 50+ acres with house and barn. Chickens, dogs, goats, cats and parrots. It's all paid for.

All in beautiful WV. They don't call it Almost Heaven for nothing.

9. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I'm 42 this year and just starting a 30 yr mortgage. [​IMG]
    I'm going to the corner store to get my Lotto ticket now..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by