20*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Yes, it's 20* and my girls are moving slower than normal w/ the exception of the Marans! The Marans seem to really enjoy it--they are usually stand-offish when I open the door..but not this morning.. LOL

Have you noticed your Marans enjoying the colder temps??

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Now that you mention it, My Wheatens do come right out when I open the door, while the others hold back a bit.......

3. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Yes, the last of my Marans does prefer cool temps. I lost 2 Cuckoo marans to heat this summer. Even with the mister, shade and wet ground, they would die if the temps were above a 100 for several consecutive days. I won't get more even if I like the color of the eggs.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    come to think of it, i DID notice that my Marans girl didn't fair as well as the other girls over the summer months. well, i guess they're not as heat tolerant. they're only 8 months old, so last summer was my 1st as a chicken owner. i had a bunch of chickens as a teen, but since that was so long ago, i would say i'm kinda a 1st time owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by