2009 Okanagan Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by canadaf35, Oct 19, 2009.

1. canadaf35

canadaf35 New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    This is our kids playhouse that we converted into a coop. The upstairs is where they roost at night and three old apple boxes converted into nesting boxes. We cut a hole in the floor with a ramp leading down, which is left open all the time so they can come and go. We put polycarb sheeting over the windows for the winter and remove in the summer. Ventilation is between the roof and wall on two sides. The bottom portion was a sandbox that we secured with heavy guage wire on the floor and sides to keep out predators. The six hens and one rooster (pink floyd) have free run of the yard when we are home. We plan on making the run bigger when our daughter decides to give up the swings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emay4short

emay4short Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    [​IMG] Welcome!
    Terrific coop! Don't let my girls see it.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What a charming coop- it's clear you had great family fun completing it. Do you get a lot of snow? If so you have the option of using 5-6 ml plastic or polycarbonate on the run under the coop. Thaty's a pretty bunch, too, especially Pink Flloyd.

About your water bucket- if you can use a shallow rubber livestock bowl in winter I'd do that- for some reason chickens five into buckets of all sizes, get stuck and/or get too wet for comfort! They're so clever in some ways but they can do odd things! The other nice thing about rubber is that you can knock an ice block out of it easily. The bowls come in various sizes. I use another for feed on an outdoor platform to cut down on mess.

At any rate, it looks as though you have a wonderful coop and that the chickens will be of value on several levels! [​IMG]

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    great job

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Now, that's a roost! I bet your birds love being up so high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by