2010 - 2011 Kid's Club pic #7 1st of 50 pillowcases!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by WriterofWords, Aug 12, 2010.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Yesterday was the first meeting of this years Kid's Club. There were 13 in attendance and about 11 who couldn't come due to our Open House and other things going on, and double that who have picked up permission slips to join. By noon today there were kids walking the halls with yarn and crochet hooks lol. The kids who are interested in sewing will be getting started next week. We only have until Sept. 25 to get ready for the Fair, so we will see what happens!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You are going to need more people to help! All the kids in the school are going to want to join. Thanks Kate for doing this!! Some of these kids would never have this kind of experience without you showing them the way!!

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I also had some parents sign up who want to learn to crochet and sew and a few who want to learn about nutrition. It's going to be an interesting ride this year!

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:Kate, this is wonderful! Very, very exciting isn't it? My three oldest are 10, 11 and 13 and this summer they asked me to teach them to use my sewing machine. I bought them their own (to share!) and started them on nine patch blocks that they then turned into the disappearing nine patch. A great block that is extremely simple but looks really complicated when you are done.

You may have heard of it already, but in case you haven't take a look here:

http://quiltsatcs.blogspot.com/2007/04/disappearing-9-patch-tutorial.html

These are some variations:

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/2008/02/disappearing-9-patch.html

http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/2010/05/disappearing-nine.html

I think what you are doing is awesome!

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you, it is exciting! Especially getting off the ground so early this year. We can always use patterns, easy ones and fun ones.

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Update for those who have been asking. We have two days, Tuesday is sewing only, with about 17 regulars, Wednesday is crochet, sewing, plastic canvass, and weaving with some cardboard looms the art department found in storage. Wednesdays we usually have betwen 23 and 29 kids. We entered 4 aprons, 2 bibs, and a recycled cat litter bag in the Southern N. M. State Fair in Las Cruces. The kids are doing great! The last Donorschoose project that was funded was the cooking supplies, we got a really nice set of Sunbeam cookware, two saucepans with glass lids, a dutch oven with glass lid and a big skillet that the lid from the dutch oven fits. There was also a complete bake ware set with baking pans, muffin pans, pie and cake pans, 3 rolling pins, heavy duty plastic spoons, spatulas, measuring cups and spoons, even salt and pepper shakers. The nutrition portion of the club will start after Fall Break. We are also using that baking dishes during regular classes for math, we bake brownies and pizzas and divide them into fractions, percents, and decimals. It's going so great, I'm really proud of all the kids. We have a volunteer that comes down from Las Cruces every week to help with the sewing and a teacher from the elementary down the road comes and helps out. Now that there are so many kids the district is actually providing a bus them through the 21st Century Grant. The crochet kids are working on beanies and blankets for the Shelter again. We also have almost all the signature squares that were made by the BYC members together. We have "unsewn" so many times because of seams that were anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 inch... but they got it now and a pair of girls have adopted that project to finish. All the squares and FQs from the trades are being put to good use along with the extra squares, FQs and fabrics that were sent. We got a big donation of thread too so that was a really big help, can't sew a lot of fabric without it. Another donation covered some batting, and then a nice person in the quilt club that Miss Francis belongs to (our volunteer) changed the kind of batting she uses and gave us the rest of the roll to use. We are working on putting some Flying Geese together thanks to the kit sent to us from a BYC member, they aren't quite that far along but they are picking it up quickly. We have 4 loaner, 1 donor, and one lay away machine in the class right now, plus the donor machine from last year. We had a huge heavy Kenmore donated but have to get a pedal for it, the original was lost. There is no room in my classroom right now, but it's the only room we have to work in.

We got a big Queen size quilt kit off of Freecycle, the top is put together and it has the binding, backing, filling and everything, so we are going to make that a big project to do together with the quilt club that Miss Francis belongs to. We are going to try and get the big room at the school opened on a weekend so we can try and put it all together, it also has shams, but they aren't together yet. The crochet club started with the easy stuff, pot holders and wash cloths. We have some that just can't seem to pick up the crochet or the sewing but they are doing good with the plastic canvass and the weaving so far. It is the most popular club in the school district, it covers math, critical thinking, reading, and SS with the incorporation of the history of crochet, sewing, and other crafts. It looks like it's going to be a good year.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We got second place in the Fair by the way, so everyone was thrilled.
    Here is the first pillowcase of our pledged 50 pillowcases for the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by