2010 Egglaying has Begun

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauralou, Jan 5, 2010.

1. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 14 hens that could possibly lay an egg. They range in age from this past year's pullets to a couple of 3 (4?) year olds. What with molting, broodiness, and the small amount of daylight hours, I was down to one hen laying every other day. Very sad, but not unexpected.

Well, we're on the upswing now! January 1st, my last pullet from this past year laid her first egg. Ever. She skipped a day, then laid one the next day, and the next. Very exciting!

Then yesterday, one of my broody hens laid her first egg of the year. I love her eggs! They're huge and pointy, very slick and shiny. [​IMG] She has "sorta" weaned herself away from her babies. They are 12 weeks old. I expect eggs from the other broody in that pen any day now. Actually, I would have guessed that she'd be the first one to lay. (My final broody hen doesn't seem even close to laying. But she does want out of her pen and away from her almost grown babies.)

The laying flock is starting to look quite promising as well. The three Dominiques in that pen are reddening up nicely, two are squatting and eating oyster shell. In fact, there was a big surge in oyster shell eating yesterday. I was cleaning coops, and noticed that almost every hen in the laying flock sampled some oyster shell. Not the 2 sexlinks that are molting heavily, not the Blue Andalusian, whose comb is virtually nonexistant at this point, and not that third Dominique. She also has not friendlied up the way her sisters have. That's always a big clue for me that they are thinking about laying an egg.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement. I figure that in the next week or so, I'll be getting eggs from most of my hens. That's how it happened last year, too. January marks the turning point with my flock. From sad and eggless to ecstatic and eating big breakfasts!

YAY!

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Must be a huge boost to have them on upswing. Supermarket eggs just do not have it.

I have not detected a slowdown on mine. They are 7 mo old and I have 24 of them. I got 22 eggs new year's day and I have one lame runt that does not yet lay. No artificial lighting either or special food. Must be that they never got to read "Guide to Raising Poultry" where it says to expect fewer eggs in wintertime? [​IMG]

3. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

Lauralou,
    so Friendlying up is a sign of pol? whoa! i knew about the reddening and squating. my black star's wattles and comb grew alot while i was gone for 4 days at xmas. i reached down toward her and she squatted. now she is following me all around the yard and even flew up onto my shoulder last night! none of mine have been overly fond of being held and none are doing the squat except the black star. i'm lovin' her new attitude! have yet to get an egg at 19 wks. maybe she's trying to tell me it's soon!!! Yea!!![​IMG]

4. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I'm finally on a downswing! LOL! I have coturnix quail who have faithfully been laying an egg a day since they started laying this past summer. I guess with the -25 temps we've been having lately they've only been laying every other or every third day for the past coupla weeks. I hope to see the upswing soon too!

Congrats on eggs! FUN FUN FUN!

6. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:My hens get really friendly just before they lay. It's especially noticeable if they've never laid an egg before. I have broody hens that raise my chicks for me, so they aren't handled much when they're young. As a result, they aren't very friendly. Until they get ready to lay. Suddenly, they are all in my face, wanting to be petted, begging for attention, and yes, the dreaded flying onto the shoulder. Or even worse, the head. I hate that, chicken toes all tangled up in the rat's nest I call my hair...

But I digress. It sounds like your black star will be gifting you with an egg very soon! Cool!

7. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    gsim, supermarket eggs definitely do not have it! Yuck!

And thanks for all the congrats, from everyone.

I got 2 more eggs today. Another from my lovely broody hen, not being a momma for much longer, I suspect. And then one from my sweet Welsummer hen who's been faithfully giving me one every other day all winter long. Things are looking up!

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yes--eggs!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congrats!
    I'm starting to feel it too--one just started laying again, two are getting redder. The interest in the nest box is growing. They will probably all start to lay when I'm on vacation...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by