2011 International Poultry Expo

I'm confused about what this is... I haven't really looked into it. Is it something that you can take the family to and is open to the general public? Are there actual birds displayed or just educational information?

Um. This is not what you think it might be.

I have been going almost every year for 30 years. It is one of the big reasons I have to buy a new suit every year.

This is entirely geared to toward the commercial poultry industry worldwide. About half the people there will be Americans.

There are no birds. If you said "meatie" or Cornish X or Freedom Rangers to the companies in attendance that breed these birds as you know them they would look at you like you were from Mars. The geneticists who breed the Cornish Cross, as you call them are there, and they wouldn't know a Cornish if it bit them.

There is no one there to discuss DE or ACV or the attributes of solidier fly larva.

Want to grind your own feed? The smallest equipment you will see would be for 1,000 TONS PER HOUR size operations. Chicken pluckers? They will be glad to quote you a 1 million bird per day operation. Helps if you are a Tyson or Perdue executive if you really want to get their attention.

Incubators - Minimum size ehhh not quite 100,000 eggs.

Purchase your tickets in advance. They are $75 at the door and a little less if prebought. You will probably be screened before entry. Animal rights activists and vegans are not entirely welcome.

There are a lot of PHDs and DVMs running around asking "when is the next paper?" Those guys don't even speak English! I go to the seminars and sometinmes wonder if they are even talking about poultry.

A trip there would dispell the myths you belive about poultry, industrial and non industrial.

I might see you there but you will have a lot more fun if we meet at The OHIO NATIONAL.

Back
Top Bottom