2011 POULTRY New Year's Resolutions

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
Okay, everyone, what do you have planned for your flock in 2011? Get more birds? Have less somehow? Find that special breed? Build more coops? Post your list here!

My 2011 "add to flock" wishlist:
- A couple of bantam sumatra hens
- Crele OEGB pair or trio
- A silver penciled bantam wyandotte or silver penciled bantam plymouth rock hen or two
- Another pair or trio of call ducks (not sure which color I want this time, or if I just want more butterscotch)
- A pair or trio of East Indies Ducks
- Some more seramas...not many, but maybe five or six.
- Maybe a buff-laced sebright hen or two
- Maybe a modern game bantam hen or two
- Maybe a few more coturnix hens of different colors for the fun of it.

Other chicken related resolutions:
- Cover at least half of the runs so everyone can easily stay dry
- Put in 3"+ of gravel before next winter hopefully for mud prevention
- Try not to come home with too many birds from the PPBA show if possible.
gig.gif

- Finish the new quail pen!

Everyone post what you have planned for your flock this year!
big_smile.png

1. Make jerkey out of my 9 extra roosters.
2.Breed hens with certian roosters in my flock.
3.Dont add 30 more birds to my flock this year.

Thats about it, And yes chicken jerkey is delicious.

My chicken resolutions:

1, Provide a good home for the two production reds and 25 straight run Ameraucana chicks that I have already arranged to get this coming spring. Well, actually, I'm not going to keep all of the Ameraucanas -- I'm sharing some of the babies with another BYCer. But I resolve to give the babies I keep the best home I can give them.

2, Begin to grow some of my own GMO-free corn, so that I can give my chickens cracked corn again. I'm looking for farmers to purchase local, GMO-free corn, wheat, grain sorghum, and/or other local non-GMO grains from, because I can't possibly grow as much corn as my birds will need, and I'm not set up to grow wheat or other grains at all.

3, Unfortunately, I will have to "rehome" some of my older hens and one older rooster. I don't butcher chickens myself, but I have found somebody who I trust to butcher them as humanely as possible -- somebody who will use the meat they will provide, so that their death is not in vain. But I resolve to take excellent care of the birds scheduled for "rehoming" right up until their "unhappy day." Of course, I also resolve to take excellent care of the birds not on the "rehoming" list too.

4, I resolve to take even more pictures of my chickens this coming year than last year. I only took about one thousand pictures of my seventeen birds last year.

Last edited:
Finish converting the garden shed so I have room for all my chickens.
Add two welsummers and two EEs to the flock. I want a rainbow basket!
And NOT add more chickens than the already planned ones.

I also want to not buy any eggs this year from the grocery store.

Funny, when I read the title of this post I thought it was the poultry's resolutions and I was going to write something like, "I resolve not to start a molt at the same time the temperatures drop below freezing" or "I resolve to lay my egg in the nest box 9 out of 10 times" or "I resolve not to peck the barred Rock in the head just because she likes the meal worms too."

Yay Chicks! :

Funny, when I read the title of this post I thought it was the poultry's resolutions and I was going to write something like, "I resolve not to start a molt at the same time the temperatures drop below freezing" or "I resolve to lay my egg in the nest box 9 out of 10 times" or "I resolve not to peck the barred Rock in the head just because she likes the meal worms too."

yuckyuck.gif

Yay chicks, I like your chicken's resolutions. More fun than resolutions that humans always break. It shows your chickens are thinking about their bad behaviors and want to improve. Reflecting on their past misdemeanors is a great start.

I resolve to stop (or slow down a bit) nagging my friend with chickens to get more and more. Can't have any where I live so I have to settle for 4 godchickens: Sheba, Tiffany (black silkies) and Sandy and Mandy young silkied seramas. I really do think she'd be thrilled with frizzled seramas and maybe a couple frizzled polish.

I resolve not to whine about not getting a pony. I wanted one since I was a little kid and realize no pony could stand up to my old age spread.

I will try my best not to act like a "know it all," since I am addicted to BYC forum and my friend doesn't have a computer.

Back
Top Bottom