2012 London Olympics -- A good buy for horse events?!!?!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by welsummerchicks, Dec 15, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    The London equestrian committees for the Olympics seem to be planning an incredible Olympics. Especially the horse events. I just watched some of the international equestrian federation meetings.

There has been some press - London officials say they are NOT going to try to 'top Beijing' for lavish opening ceremonies. It is going to be very nice, but it's not going to be over-the-top-nuts.

Even the equestrian events will be in the 'compact' Olympic area, at Greenwich Park, right near the center of London.

In fact, they plan at this point, to have the Eventing riders, on cross country day, come barelling into the stadium via a tunnel, jump some cross country jumps there, and then exit again. I think this is also to allow people to see the eventers better.

People will be able to take public transportation from London to see the riding events. This is part of their goal, to have a 'greener' Olympics. But also, to keep it accessible to everyone.

They are also negotiating with the river water taxis to arrange for people to take water taxis to get to the equestrian area.

It surprised me that they are making a committment to keep the prices of the horse events DOWN. They have tickets to the riding events starting at 20 British pounds.

Included near the time of the Olympics are the Para-Olympics, where athletes with various disabilities compete at a number of different levels.

On the question side, there aren't any big equine surgery clinics near the Greenwhich Park. But they plan to set up a veterinary clinic on the grounds, and work out transport to nearby veterinary surgery clinics. A horse might have to spent two hours or more in transit to get to a surgery clinic. I would guess the vets at the Park can stabilize a horse for that trip.

They also won't be making transport arrangements like they did for people flying horses from the US or other countries. In the last two games, the Olympic folks actually managed a lot of that; they won't this time.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh my goodness.

I am not sure I've ever been glad that I'm in no danger of being selected for the Olympic team LOL but I sure would not want to have to deal with that, on some horses in particular anyhow. It seems like an unfair temperament/mileage test unrelated to the actual sport of eventing. Anyone who thinks they might go had better start working on "gallop into a tunnel and then discover yourself in a much huger louder stadium than any event horse has hitherto imagined could exist" [​IMG]

That is cool that they're trying to have the Olympics all more or less in one place though!

It surprised me that they are making a committment to keep the prices of the horse events DOWN. They have tickets to the riding events starting at 20 British pounds.

I'm not surprised... they may not foxhunt anymore but they're still Brits [​IMG]

Thanks for posting, I had not been following any of this, 2012 still seems like a long way away to me, although of course it isn't anymore.

Pat​

3. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    Well let's hear it for the Brits then! They really WANT to make it affordable - normally the equestrian events are very, very costly. There will still be premium seats and those seats will be expensive, and some events will be more than others, but overall, it sounds better.

Too, normally, it isn't so much paying for the seats, but that everything else is astronically expensive too - hotels, food at the event, transportation. I get a little grouchy when there are only some hotels available and they're all sky high.

Normally, the efforts at offering cost options for tickets at the top horse events in the world, sound like the 'blood sucking accountant' in 'Jurrasic Park'...'FINE. We'll have a coupon day, and let people in for only ten thousand dollars'.

Though with the number of jumps they do with overhangs and overhead elements, in and out of shadow, I bet very, very few horses will have any problem with going into the stadium and out through that route. I'm not 100% sure they'll stick with the tunnel route - there are two other access points, it looks like, on the diagrams they displayed.

I also found it was interesting - that they will put the riding arenas on a base reinforced with a steel frame further underneath. Because of the geology of the place, it would be bad for the environment to dig it out real deep. That's the other part of their 'green Olympics'.

The most amazing thing is the open spirit of the committee - they are contacting the people in the neighborhood, local stables, and inviting input. I'm not really sure I've ever watched anything quite like this one.

I think the good news is that the weather in England, while there are hot days in summer, is overall, much less challenging than Sydney, Taipei, etc.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I thought England, inside the city, would be very hot in the summer.

Well, if they can do it fugually without going "over the top", by all means, they can use their charms and hospitality as the best asset that England can offer.

Tea, anyone?

5. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    Of course the weather varies there, but the average July temperature is 64, the average high is 72, the average low is 55.

Taipei? 82, 90, 75.

That's an average temperature 18 degrees lower in London, average high, 18 degrees lower, average low, 20 degrees lower.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Which country got the worse smog?

I bet Prince Charles and Camilla would be there!

BTW, is it proper for Camilla to have a "Princess" in front of her name or was it really reserved for Diana?

7. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    My guess is that Camilla calls herself whatever Camilla wants.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Some saucy lady she is! [​IMG]

9. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    I don't know...I'm thinking this is going to be an Olympics I can afford. I was laid up for the WEG, and I would have rather gone to that as they have driving; the Olympics do not.

But it is just exciting to go to the Olympics, and I'd still be able to see both dressage and eventing. That would be really great. Aside from that who knows when the WEG will come to the USA again?

The ONE problem I can see, is by locating so close into London, the issue of having to haul a sick or injured horse out several hours, in what's probably heavier than usual traffic...that worries me that people might have to do that.

10. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm definitely thinkng about going with my mom... Plenty of time to save for airfare, hotel, and all that. She and I went to England togethe 11 years ago and I won't lie, I acted a bit like a bratty teenager. I'm thinking this would be a nice opportunity to redeem myself [​IMG] LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by