2013 Chicks Picked Out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by billyb, Jan 20, 2013.

1. billyb

billyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    Hellooo!
    Who hear already has there 2013 batch of chicks picked out? And what breed are they? [​IMG]

2. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Welsummer and a white sultan ordered for April and a bunch of bantams for June. (buff, white, and blue Silkie, black frizzle Cochin, Mille fleur d uccle, white crested black polish, and mottled Cochin.) will probably add one more to my April order, maybe a silver laced Wyandotte or buckeye. Am also looking into lavender Orpington and cream leg bar.

3. billyb

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    Those are all awesome breeds! The only one that I discourage is the silver laced wyandotte. I had two, but I rehomed them because the were way to skittish and un-friendly. I would even hold them or let them out everyday to make sure that didn't happen. But that's just my opion. :)

But anyways: I am getting 3 new chicks on either March 11, or 18 th. The breeds are a Black Astralorp, White Jersey Giant, and a Buff Orpington! :))

4. DerbyGirlGoneChicken

DerbyGirlGoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm a newbie and my first bunch will be Astralorp, Rhode Island Red, silver laced Wyandotte, Red Star, white Plymoth Rock.

I'm surprised to hear you say the Wyandotte is unfriendly. I've read they were sweet. I'm interested in egg production mostly.

5. billyb

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    It could have just been that batch. But just personly I don't like them. Hahaha.

Those are great breeds! Awesome for egg laying!

6. ShakeragSusan

ShakeragSusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    rural Kentucky
    I'm currently the proud owner of some easter eggers, barred rocks, buff orps, and one silver laced wyandotte.
    My SLW is not my friendliest bird, but I have no objection to her. My sweetest is my barred rock cockerel.

I'm hoping (but not yet ordering) Speckled Sussex, White Rock, Buff Rock, and maybe a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. My flock is mostly for fun and eggs. I love a flock with variety.

7. billyb

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    ShakeragSusan, did it take a long time for your Buff Orpingtons to mature and lay eggs? Because I saw that on Meyerhatchery.com, and I wanted to get some of that breed this year.

8. ShakeragSusan

ShakeragSusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    rural Kentucky
    No, I don't think they were really any slower than my other girls. They were all the same age when I got them and some started laying about a month before the others- 4.5- 5.5 months.But I don't recall a difference between my orps and my others time wise.

My buff orps are sweet girls.

9. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I'm not sure if i'll get any more this spring as I have 25 already but if I were I would want some differently colored eggs, I'm thinking some kind of olive egger, BCM. I have a blue splash marans but she is laying brown speckled egg not very dark at all. I have 3 easter eggers that lay a light blue egg and a splash ee that I don't think has laid for me yet but if she has then it's the same color as the others :(.

10. billyb

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    Ok Thanks! Also ShakeragSusan, It also says they only lay about 4 eggs a week. Is that true? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by