2013 first hatch photos

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by ES Emus, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ES Emus

ES Emus Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    always an exciting time around here!

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Sooo cute. My emus only laid one egg this year and sold it on ebay :-( not sure what got into them this year. Last year hatched out 8 babies

3. ES Emus

Only one egg?, are you sure that she has not hidden her nest? How old is your female?

4. Calla

Calla Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    How strange, you sure, scavengers ...crows, ..magpies... rats etc...take them ? my 2 girls . always lay them in their houses on straw beds.....mostly still warm when feeding them.
    Calla

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

A woman in Lampasas, Texas saw raccoons reaching under her male emu (while he was setting the nest) stealing eggs... so it's very possible that a predator got some of them

6. ES Emus

I'm thinking a predator, hidden nest(s), or possibly impacted female...

7. ES Emus

that's got to be a pretty hefty raccoon to deal with a large emu egg, in additon to being very ballsy!!! lol

8. yinepu

9. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

‘Trance-like state’? Yes – but it sure is counter-intuitive that the male would not notice.

S.E.

10. yinepu

I dunno.. all she said was she went out to check on the birds since she thought she had left her chicken coop unlocked.. when she turned the flashlight past the emu she spotted the raccoon.. when she went over her emu was still in his "trance like state" and I would assume was pretty much asleep

Since I wasn't there all i can go on is what she said.. she has had the emus for about 20 years or so.. so she's been through a lot of hatches with her pair.

I've walked up on a few of mine at night when they were sleeping (not setting eggs naturally because they are just yearlings). Mine barely opened an eye. So all I can assume was that her male felt secure enough when he was in "broody emu mode" that nothing much bothered him... lol.. either that or he's just too old to care anymore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by