2013 Has Been Bad for Peachicks Here

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
As if having Fiona being killed while on a nest was not bad enough this year, Aaron's imprinted peachick Taco died while I was on a vacation. Aaron said he woke up and walked over to the pen to say hello to Taco, and Taco would not wake up.
sad.png

Well my peahen Ice has lost all her peachicks as of today. Ice had three peachicks that she hatched out. One hatched with bad feet so we took it home and fixed the feet then thanks to some advise from Zazouse we put it under Ice at night, so she would accept it. One day we found one of the peachicks swimming in the water dish, even though the peachicks have their own small dish to drink from. I held it and helped it dry then gave it back to Ice. Recently we have been getting a ton of rain. I mean a ton. One by one each peachick has died from what I figure has been too much rain. I didn't see any wounds or anything on them. I have never seen the pen so full of water and I think the combination of puddles, constant rain, and colder temps has killed all of Ice's peachicks. The rain has brought a lot of bugs out so I thought it would be good for the peachicks but I think it was just too cold and wet for them. Anyways I found the last of the chicks dead today. I thought it would make it because it was acting healthy and normal but I guess all this rain killed it too. I have two separate areas in the pen that the peas can get under when it rains and I put food in those places too so I guess I have done all I can. Ice was standing around by herself and she only ate a little. I feel really bad for her and I am sad that all the peachicks this year did not make it.

My dad said he heard a lot of rain like this can be bad for wild turkey chicks too.

So sorry Minx,
hugs.gif
i did not know you lost a hen also..
hugs.gif

Rain is hard on all chicks, i keep a heat lamp on in my ground brooder even if it is 90 degrees here cause we also have been getting alot of rain and they run under it when it is like that here. i have never lost a peachick but a few years ago i lost alot of keets cause the brooder was not high enough and it flooded at night , so they piled up on each other in the only dry spot trying to get warm, lesson learned.

I thought Ice would get on top of the peachicks and keep them warm but it probably didn't help much since the ground was wet and Ice was probably wet too. Yeah I lost a peahen earlier this year. It was one of Ice's peahens.

I will have to remember that about the heat lamp next time. All of the peafowl might like a heat lamp when it rains this much. The backyard is like a shallow lake. I am sorry about the keets you lost. :(

So you are getting a lot of rain right now too...How are your whites looking because mine are really dirty from all this rain!
tongue.png

Minx sorry to hear you lost all your pea chicks
hit.gif
The weather on the East coast has been really bad this year. We had so much rain in CT I think we are 10 inches above normal and counting. Some of my hens would stop laying for days at a time. I just put a dog igloo doghouse in with my charcoals it's 3.5 feet off the ground so one of the hens can go broody in it. So far there are 2 eggs in it. I lost pea chicks this year, one from nature and stupid accidents so I know how you guys feel. If you want some eggs to try again give me a holler
wink.png

Last edited:
Did you loose peachicks as well? Or did you just loose the mandarin ducklings. Talking about that I will PM you about them.

Back
Top Bottom