2015 chick orders! Or egg orders.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MelissaZeno, Mar 22, 2015.

1. MelissaZeno

MelissaZeno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    Hi, I was hoping people would share what kinds of chicks they ordered.
    I am so impatient for a broody hen, I placed and order at my local feed store:
    1 Jersey Giant
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Ameracauna/EE
    4 assorted Bantams.
    Not sure what types of bantams I will get or if I will get to pick them out. I'm pretty excited and hope to get at least 1 bantam hen so I may have a broody hen by next spring at least.
    If one or two of my hens go broody this year I want to order Java hatching eggs or Orpington eggs.

2. Kolvir

Kolvir New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm getting my first chickens on May 2nd.

5 Jersey Giants, including one rooster.
    4 Buff Orpingtons.
    4 Partridge Cochins.

I'm very excited.

3. MelissaZeno

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    That sounds like a great order! It's awful hard to wait isn't it? This will be my second chick order , last year I ordered from MYPETCHICKEN, so instead of paying for shipping I went local this year.

4. Kolvir

Kolvir New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    Iowa
    The Orpingtons were sold out until then. I really want those so I bumped the whole order.

The waiting is hard, especially since the local feed store has a bunch of chicks in stock.

1 person likes this.
  5. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

I am waiting on babies too! They ship 5/6!!
    For ducks we have coming
    2 khaki Campbell drakes
    3 khaki Campbell hens
    3 blue Swedish hens
    2 buff hens
    2 Cayuga hens
    We also have 6 standard assorted color Cochin pullets coming and one Cochin rooster. They are my daughter's favorite breed.
    Already brooding we have
    6 Easter Egger pullets two weeks old
    6 partridge wyandottes pullets two weeks old.
    Then chicken math ran rampant for my Mom, asked her to get 12 Maran chicks from her local feed store. They would only sell her six... So now we have
    5 Maran pullets (one didn't make it)
    2 Sicilian buttercup pullets (had four, lost two of these as well)
    4 giant silver laced Cochin pullets
    6 straight run silkies
    2 ancona pullets
    2 buff Orpington pullets
    2 buff brahma pullets
    So far spring is shaping up for us. Would have liked to have added more ducks not as many chicks but Mom went a little crazy at the chick store so, yeah. LOL

6. MelissaZeno

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    I agree, the waiting is so hard. I've been keeping busy just to make it go by faster.

7. MelissaZeno

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    That sounds exciting! Sorry for your losses, I lost one chick at just under 2 weeks old last April. I can only hope when chicks come to our feed stores in April/May, people may not want their chicks and maybe I can score a few extras. I am waiting to see if my hens go broody this spring. It is their first spring after starting to lay eggs.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. MelissaZeno

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    So I did get my babies the day before I expected to pick them up! My baby campine died on the second night we had it and we got them from the feed store so they don't replace the ones that are lost. The little one was for my son who really wanted a golden campine. Must be my luck it's the second year we have had a chick die. It is so dissappointing because I worked really hard to do everything right.

9. MelissaZeno

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    We suspect 2 of our bantams are Welsummers, and 1 is either a brahma or cochin.

10. ChickenChatten

ChickenChatten Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! I have 2 Australorps and 4 Silver Cuckoo Marans shipping from my pet chicken this coming Tuesday, and I couldn't be more anxious! Do you have any pics of your chicks to share?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by