2015 Easter Baby action time <3

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
12 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
It's Lent, the time several weeks before Easter, when baby ducks, rabbits, chickens, and who knows who will be bought on impulse.
roll.png

Then it is just a matter of weeks before a number of the animals will be dumped or given away.
somad.gif

Those of us who either have been planning to get our first flock, add to our flock, or whose arms I can twist into taking more critters in (only if you can manage, now, don't get in over your head) have an opportunity to help these littles.

But even before then, it is time to write letters to the editor, post on your blog, talk to your school (if they're hatching, where will the hatchlings go, for example), start a Facebook meme about preventing the abandonment of Easter baby animals.

You might offer alternatives - those of us who are crafty could make baby critters out of cupcakes, or crochet, or felting, or . . . and offer them for sale. Maybe host a party for kids, with your own ducklings or chicks in a sweet little crib (look, don't touch) for folks who want their kids to see duckies or chickies.

Or you might offer coaching to someone you know who made the leap without being prepared for their littles growing up. I think most of us have done something on impulse once or twice, yes?
wink.png
And we would have appreciated someone coming alongside and helping out. Or not, I suppose….

Those are my ideas - discourage the impulse buys, encourage alternatives, and deal with the cast-offs
sad.png

Let's be proactive, and reduce the suffering in the world. Would be lovely if these ideas were not necessary, but at least we can think ahead a little and do some good.

Thanks, fine Duck Forum members.
love.gif

I haven't sworn off purchasing ducklings, or hatching, just want to give a heads-up to folks here, since I lose track myself about these littles till I read about them after the fact.

If I had more room, I would definitely have more ducks, that is for sure certain.

Calls are so cute...

I bought a couple ducklings the other day on impulse bc they were just too cute. But I guess I saved them from being bought by someone on impulse bc they are so cute???? Right???.......

Mrs. H., I am not worried about you getting duckies on impulse! As I wrote, we all do that.

I saw these little Rhode Island Red peeps today at the feed store….. shew. There is something about peeping that stirs the maternal hormones or something. But I have trained myself (ducks, ducks, ducks, ducks, not chickens). We don't have the room and I don't have the mojo right now for another steep learning curve.

little cuties

Mrs. H., I am not worried about you getting duckies on impulse!  As I wrote, we all do that. 

I saw these little Rhode Island Red peeps today at the feed store….. shew.  There is something about peeping that stirs the maternal hormones or something.  But I have trained myself (ducks, ducks, ducks, ducks, not chickens).  We don't have the room and I don't have the mojo right now for another steep learning curve.

little cuties

I had chickens before ducks. I prefer ducks now!!!! But even with having both the really are only cute for like the first hour??? Lol A LOT of work!!!!

Funny you should mention Easter, since I'll be hatching out a CHOCOLATE call duck!
gig.gif

Thanks for making this thread, Amiga. You're 100% right and it kills me to know that some unscrupulous stores still sell baby animals as mere playthings like that. And even worse that any family would in good conscience buy them knowing fully well they don't intend to keep them! Good thing we have PAWS here in Washington that accepts all kinds of exotic animals, not just kitties and puppies.

Back
Top Bottom